When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice please guys - Its a noob question on the SA reps

PeteM

I went to look at the SAs on Andrews site.... and I got myself confused.... which aint hard !! ;)

From what I have read here.... the better option is the baton dial... and the latest versions appear to have a 2 part baton unlike the older version... the last time I was into these it was the V1 and Ultimate... so please excuse my ignorance. At first I thought it would be easy given some of the great threads on here but then I realised what some of the dates were on them...

Now again from reading round here this better baton version seems to have other issues which the earlier version doesnt...

Then there are variations on movement quality... Bezel.... strap.... clasp ... bracelet...

I would like to get something I am not going to get to anal about but would like something that you guys, who I trust , would consider the better all round option..

I think I would prefer something on Bracelet... as all my PAMs are strapped as are my LTs... but if the bracelet hasnt improved much I really dont want to end feeling the need to buy a gen bracelet ;)

but then I have heard the divers strap clasp is pretty hit and miss so this only adds to my confusion , which as I said it aint hard to do that !! :)

In addition I am not sure on the dial colour choice...

In you guys opinions what looks the better under that AR and given the known flaws with the sub dials and DW etc.... With SAs I always chose white as its safe....and I have plenty of black dials so I was wondering about the blue?

I am really sorry and embarassed to ask the 'Who has the best Sub' question... but like I say its got me so confused.... I even started considering something with a ling yellow dial in the 45mm !!

Hey Pete... How are ya mate..

There is no simple way to say this... I have over the last 24 or so months had over 2 dozen SA's go thru my hands... Frankens, Super Frankens 90% gen parts etc etc etc

The ones that have ALWAYS made it back

1. White Dial Arabic Numbers

2. Black Battons

3. The version Blue dial

If i had to pick one quick combo to set up

V3 Rep

White Arabic or Black Battons Gen Dial

Gen Bezel

New Bracelet is good but nothing beats Gen Pro 2

what you need to remember is Blue at angles will look black..

Imho Pete...the SA Is one of the best otb reps available. I've had three but sold two of them..I have a V1 blue dial with white sub dials now..one of my favorite reps.

I believe Chief would agree that the older blue dialed SA rep Is very good...the blue color is better than the newer models Imo.

The DW is not perfect..the white surround Is a bit thicker than the gens..but no big deal Imo.

If I were to pick one up now... I would go with the numberd version..the battons model Is just as good now that It has the two piece batton. I just prefer white.

Add to that the new pro2 bracelet..and you have a excellent rep..cant go wrong with either the black or white version..the blue seems to be a shade or two off on the V3.

Actually..If I were in the market for a SA..I would have to give chieftangs franken serious consideration.

Im actually hoping to pick up a yellow SW when there back In stock...cant beat the yellow SW If you're looking for a yellow watch...again..Imho. ;)

Hope this helps mate. :)

Mike

Chief.... Thanks mate I have popped you a PM mate....

P..I am good mate..Thanks... Cheers for reply mate... I have enough probs with PAMs ;) without getting into a franken build myself unless it done already :) and I know how much you enjoy the B-lings..

M... Thanks too mate... I appreciate the advice... I think that rules out the blue then for me :)

So are the Arabic dials better now then in terms of the lume dots?

Thanks again guys :)

I am also confused by the references to the years now...Do I still need to avoid the ones based on the BS SA?

From what I can see Pete..the gen SA lume dots are different on the numbered vs batton models. It looks to me that the reps are the same way. There pretty well done on both versions.

Thats why I say...."you cant go wrong with either model.

Of course and most likely...I could be wrong. :pardon:

Do some side by side comparsisons to see how you feel about It personally. :)

Mike

Imho Pete...the SA Is one of the best otb reps available. =

Oh boy. Wear a gen for a couple days and see if that is still your opinion,frankly all Rolex DJ reps are far superior,and there are a million of those.

That hunk of tin foil the chinese are calling a "Pro2" bracelet is disgusting. And the dials are garbage. One great franken project though,gen dial (the black batons is probably the best dial) and gen bracelet,one great watch.

Oh boy. Wear a gen for a couple days and see if that is still your opinion,frankly all Rolex DJ reps are far superior,and there are a million of those.

I have worn a gen Dave..I still think the rep is very close to te genuine article..in all aspects. If you are trying to say that the gen is better than the rep....no fuc king duh

So If you want to spend around $4000.00..for the real thing... or.....If you want somrthing that is very close....go with the rep.

I mean..isn't that the whole idea about buying a rep?

Mike

No Mike, just have owned all that there is to own when it comes to Super Avengers,i can assure you nobody on these forums have owned every version possible,rep,gen and franken,when it comes to this watch,aside from myself.

A highly addictive watch and buying a rep as it comes just does not cut it,and will end up like myself and Chief here,loosing money over time on these. Do it right the first time and get it over with,is my advice.

I had put together my 10th or so franken (while owning my gen i bought in 2007) around the time you joined this forum. :)