When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Eta 2824 Date not changing

Hok

Hello,

I recently bought a new, gen Eta 2824 for a seamaster project. I swapped the date wheel. Switching the date manually does work, however it doesn't work when I try to change the date by advancing the time 24 hours in time setting mode.

Sadly, I didn't check if date change worked before I swapped the date wheel.

I used the easy swapping technique, where you don't have to dissassemble anything. Could it still be that I did something wrong? Is there any reason that a uninstalled movement (with no hands attached) would not advance the date? did I buy a faulty item?

thank you for your advice.

When you change it by the stem does it kind of snap from one date to the next or is it kind of sloppy? The most likely cause if it's sloppy is that the date wheel is sitting on top of the click spring instead of the click spring being in between the teeth on the date wheel. The spring is roughly at 4 on the dial and if it's not in place the date change mechanism will be sitting under the gear on the date wheel and it won't engage. Changing the date by the stem occurs on the other side of the dial so it wouldn't be affected as much.

I hope that makes sense.

Hello kbh, thanks for your answer, I think I am getting what you mean :)

the manual change feels normal. if we say the stem is at 3oclock: the gear at 4 oclock is working correctly. also, the spring at 9 oclock is correctly between the teeth (took me a bit until I figured that one out). Both are positioned exactly like on this picture http://www.chronometrie.com/eta2824/images/eta2824d.jpg

Then the only suggestion I have it to take the DW back off and watch to see that the date change mechanism is doing when you wind the date over. It should slowly go round and become spring wound right before snapping over at 12.

It's the thing with the brass gear towards the bottom with a silver octopus sticking out. As that goes around the leg sticking up snaps the date over. The silver rectangular kind of piece to the right has the click spring attached that should be between the date wheel gears.

DSCN4335.jpg

• 2 months later...