When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

292K end of the saga (I hope)

ilanB

Some of you followed my topic on strap bars on my 292K which appear to be a general problem with this rep.

Well the watch went to the dealer to be repaired and came back 3 months later (snail mail to China) with...lugs loose

Since I have no tools nor the knowledge to open the watch and glue it according to the recommendations here I glued the bars into place sacrificing the option to replace the strap.

I was happy camper until the crown fell off the watch after two days :-(( the dealer said it was tested before but I can send it again (3 months) so I was looking for local watchmaker to try and fix it.

2 watchmakers I found in my area didn't even bothered to look at a rep. The 3rd agreed after asking if it is a real one (which I replied it is a real watch :-P ). Opened the case back and tightened the crown back in place. His recommendation was not to try and screw down the crown as the threads are not very good and all those turnings is what caused it to fall.

He even didn't want any fee as it was just 5min work :-)) I will give him my gens to be serviced, he just won a customer.

So now it is working, installed with Pantime Crock deployment strap and hopefully stay that way ;-)

(pics will follow tonight)

IlanB

BTW he was impressed from the quality of the rep (except threads on the crown). inside, he said, it is a one to one copy of the gen mechanism with all markings. If I didn't told him it was a fake he said, with out serious check even he would fall for it. (later on better examination he pointed out some minor things on the engravings).

Glad to hear its sorted mate....

The rep Rads are notorious for their weak crown threads and possible ease to damage the stem, they have been for a few years.... it is an important thing to remember if you own one of these.... Crowns must be screwed in very carefully and ensuring the correct threading is maintained....