When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need guidance for buying Pilot flieger chronograph 3717

HyperEscape

Hello All,

I am total newbie to reps and after searching through the wealth of information shared by everyone on this forum I have decided to buy a IWC 3717 Pilot Chronograph.

I need guidance with the following queries,

1. I am a bit confused about different versions of this watch while reading around ranging from V1 to V3. Can someone please explain what the versions and what are the main difference in the versions.

2. What is the best budget friendly movement to go for in this model. I am planning to go with asian 7750 in the range of 200 - 300 USD, is this the best movement option available in this range.?

3. What is the best trust worthy dealer around here on the forum to purchase this watch from. Of course your answer would depend on the experiences you had.

4. I am planning to go with Asian7750 on http://asian7750.com...10&P_id=558&ti=. Has someone else purchased the same watch from this site. How good of a rep is it this within the mentioned price. Are there any other dealers of an equivalent quality rep with a lower price.Can anyone tell me which version is this on Asian7750 website.

5. I have read about a lot of mods which can be done with this watch. If i purchase the one mentioned in the above link, it is reasonably good out-of-the-box. Is it necessary with the above mentioned rep to change the date wheel with ETA to match the font, are they really out of proportions on the stock rep. Just asking cause i have a limited budget at the moment, and the mods can vary in cost.

6. Is it any person or a dealer selling the same watch with the mods pre-applied, please mention the type and costs of the mods already implemented in any rep piece available for sale.

7. Finally i have read about servicing required with this movement/this rep to be done to be able to run perfectly over years. Is servicing necessary or a must-must when buying a new rep or should I just get it delivered as-is.

Thanks for reading and your responses, they would probably be a lot of worth to all others like me faced with similar questions when buying this rep.

Cheers.

Edited by HyperEscape

Nearly all of this has been answered in many posts here, but to summarize:

1) Versions

v1 (not available 'new' anymore) - IMO the best dial. The dial and hands are lumed properly, but no AR on the crystal. If you are planning to mod your watch, try to find one in the sales section and use it as a base.

v2 (also not available 'new' anymore) - IMO avoid this one. Dial is incorrectly lumed.

v3 (only one available 'new' at this time) - best 'out of the box' if you aren't planning doing many mods. Dial is lumed properly, and this version has AR on the crystal.

2) go with the Asian 7750 if you are on a budget.

3) Any of the approved dealers here are fine, and they all carry the same watch.

4) never dealt with that site

5) IMO, datewheels are a must, followed by (in order) crystal AR (chief or taka), re-luming the dial/hands, and finally transplanting the A7750 with an ETA. If you want to go crazy, then there are a couple of members that sell gen parts.

Here is my journey through modding my 3717

http://www.rwg.cc/to...my-modded-3717/

6) Vac sometimes sells pre-modded 3717's and Concepta also has shown a few heavily modded (with gen parts).

7) IMO, I would always recommend getting the A7750 serviced once you have decided you are going to keep the watch. Some people will advise to wait a couple of years, but once I know I'm keeping a watch I send to service immediately. Have read too many teardown stories of the lack of quality of the assembly of the Asian movements used in reps.

Edited by tomhorn

7) IMO, I would always recommend getting the A7750 serviced once you have decided you are going to keep the watch. Some people will advise to wait a couple of years, but once I know I'm keeping a watch I send to service immediately. Have read too many teardown stories of the lack of quality of the assembly of the Asian movements used in reps.

What do they do in a watch service? How can I find a rep friendly watch service in my area?

Just got a 3717 and decided to keep it right away

A good service will include disassembly of the movement, thorough clean of all the parts, reassembly with proper oils, and test/regulation.

Unfortunately, those assembling movements over in China for our reps are not exactly doing so in a clean room as would be done at ETA. They frequently ship 'dirty' and improperly oiled.