When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Follow up post... Pre-V Crown Guard finishing... before and after

projectologist

The following are some pics of the Pre-V CG I received prior to doing the final finish work on it. Before it arrived, I had assumed all it would take was maybe 30 min. tops to get looking good.

Well that's what I get for assuming... out came the small jeweler's files and an entire evening just to get the lever to fit neatly into the CG body opening (which also required plenty of micro file work).

Some corners needed squaring up and connecting edges made straight and true. A couple of evenings before I could get to the brushing.

The brushing was pretty straight-forward. I just had to stop and check the 320 wet/dry often for any build up. Always brushing in one direction only, NEVER back and forth.

Lever pin will soon get trimmed and crimped, the lever tip that meets the crown will get it's final shaping once the rest of the project arrives.

If and when these CG's come available again, be prepared to have to do a little work on them. I suggest y'all get out one of those old CG's that's been laying in the parts box forever and start practicing wink1.gif

rawCG01.jpg

rawCG02.jpg

rawCG03.jpg

after...

cgcaa.jpg

Awesome work! Care to share techniques on how to square off those inner corners?

Thanks! No special technique other than lots of practice and even more patience (Dremels aren't a good idea for this). Hand file work is required for this. Working with magnification (I use an Optivisor), good lighting and a secure method of holding the CG body in place so both hands are free. These things may sound obvious, but leave one out and you stand a good chance of less than desired results.

The key to accuracy is (especially if you plan on working on reps a lot) is to invest in some high quality jeweler's files. The difference these made over the cheap ones was huge. A couple of the basic shapes will work for most of your watch needs... no need for a deluxe set.

Thanks for posting this...excellent Information here.

I have a few CG that have been lying around..Im going to have to order some files...dont have any proper jewelers files atm.

Im looking foward to practicing..and who knows...I might actually like the results..given time. :)

Mike