When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen crown/tube upo mod advise

the_rymeister

I'd say risk's close to zero for USA ---> Canada and Canada ---> USA

If I were located in USA/Uk I'd ask The Zigmeister support regularly, He worked on my 3717 few years ago and the job was amazing to say the least.

Pleasant and fast communication.

If you want a methodical, well organized, meticulous and very skilled watchsmith, he's the one.

Only downside, he's very busy ... need to book a slot in advance.. :)

He's also selective with customers, that's not a problem if you're not a jerk time-waster.

Right I re glued the stem yesterday with chemical metal and put the watch back together. So far the tube is staying where it should. Crown tightens down ok but my only concern is when you tighten the crown onto the tube it does tighten down but it still manual winds the watch! You can see a gear turning from the back of the movement and you can hear very slight clicking/winding sort of noise! Hope this isn't going to damage my movement! I'm guessing this is just manually winding my watch as I tighten crown? this will have to do until I after Christmas as funds are against me at the moment. Then I'll send to zigmeister for correct fitment if offer is still available.

Right I re glued the stem yesterday with chemical metal and put the watch back together. So far the tube is staying where it should. Crown tightens down ok but my only concern is when you tighten the crown onto the tube it does tighten down but it still manual winds the watch! You can see a gear turning from the back of the movement and you can hear very slight clicking/winding sort of noise! Hope this isn't going to damage my movement! I'm guessing this is just manually winding my watch as I tighten crown? this will have to do until I after Christmas as funds are against me at the moment. Then I'll send to zigmeister for correct fitment if offer is still available.

Sorry to hear of your problems, but it sounds like you have a serious issue with your keyless works? Did the stem/crown work ok when the movt wasn't in the case?

If you're screwing the crown on and it pulls out the tube, then either its not bonded well, the stem was the wrong length, or even the yoke was not engaging/disengaging properly. You may have to bite the bullet and get someone to fix it now! :(

I never had any of those problems though, and the all of the pendant tubes are still in situ, watches working fine...

What can F-up the keyless works is when the stem release is pressed too hard. The stem release should only be lightly pressed when the crown is in the neutral postion (ie. for manual winding) NOT when the crown is in date setting or time change position. Pull crown & press stem release simultaneously.

Cheers for advise importr. The issue I've got is when I screw crown back onto tube after setting time it looks as if something is operating( can see cog turning from rear of movement if I were to have back off) think it looks and sounds like its manual winding? Not 100% sure. feel very slight tension and sounds like its winding up movement. I'll post a pic up later if I get a mo and point out the cog that's winding as I tighten crown.

It most probably is winding. That clicking sound you hear may be the clutch engaging to prevent over winding. I can't remember exactly, but this could be a normal occurence with your movt.

Your stem may be a gnats whisker too long. Which is why it is still winding....

I've ran into this more than once, and recently on the 42mm PO when working with the gen crown. (but I tripped the keyless works and had to pull the hands/dial and DW to correct that.) Your stem is most likely a tiny bit too long. Perhaps try screwing the stem into the crown a thread more at a time before clipping it shorter, though it winding while locking the crown shouldn't really harm or effect anything if the other functions (setting time/date) are working.

I'd say risk's close to zero for USA ---> Canada and Canada ---> USA

If I were located in USA/Uk I'd ask The Zigmeister support regularly, He worked on my 3717 few years ago and the job was amazing to say the least.

Pleasant and fast communication.

If you want a methodical, well organized, meticulous and very skilled watchsmith, he's the one.

Only downside, he's very busy ... need to book a slot in advance.. :)

He's also selective with customers, that's not a problem if you're not a jerk time-waster.

I appreciate the insight.

I've ran into this more than once, and recently on the 42mm PO when working with the gen crown. (but I tripped the keyless works and had to pull the hands/dial and DW to correct that.) Your stem is most likely a tiny bit too long. Perhaps try screwing the stem into the crown a thread more at a time before clipping it shorter, though it winding while locking the crown shouldn't really harm or effect anything if the other functions (setting time/date) are working.

That's exactly what I did buddy I tripped the keyless after I installed gen tube/crown and had to reset keyless. I bought a new stem and trimmed it down to the exact same size as the rep stem but it was still too long for the gen tube so I resorted back to the rep stem and now I'm getting this winding issue when tightening crown. I've tried winding crown on stem another thread but think Im at the limit without trimming a bit more.ill try this one night and see how I get on. Hope to sort it as I've only had the watch a week or so and it's been apart by me more times than I've worn it.lol . This is what it's all about though in this hobby.

Mate, I've lost count of the number of times I've stuffed things up when it comes to modding. It is part & parcel of this game and should you wish to continue, your modding skills will improve. ;)

Don't lose the faith! When the PO is finally finished, it'll be worth it :D

Mate, I've lost count of the number of times I've stuffed things up when it comes to modding. It is part & parcel of this game and should you wish to continue, your modding skills will improve. ;)

Don't lose the faith! When the PO is finally finished, it'll be worth it :D

+1 to that. When I first made the decision that I wanted a Franken 42mm PO, I was planning on sending it off and having it built for me. But a real nice guy and a RWG member suggested I use the "labor cost" funds to buy the necessary tools and try the build myself. I took his advise (thanks db2) and have no regrets in doing so.

I'm a long way from being what I'd call a "modder" but I'm getting alot of needed "trial and error" education....and I'm not longer "gun-shy" when it comes to anything but disassembling the mvt. itself. It'll be much more rewarding wearing one that I did the work on...DW, dial, hands, crystal, bezel assembly, SEL's, clasp and case back will be gen. when it's all said and done.(tube and crown too...I'm sending it to The Zig-man for the tube bushing installation...my epoxy job worked on one but the Franken will get it done the correct way...thanks to Zigmeister.)