When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub Advice Needed

Guest aclaimsman

Guest aclaimsman

Let me start of by saying, I am new at this game, so I apologize for my ignorance up front. I purchased a TW Best case from a trusted member in order to build a watch and would like some advice. I have two movements to use, a 2824 that came out of a Sandoz watch and a 2836 from another one. I would really like to use the 2824 movement, but not sure if it will fit? As far as the dial and strap, I plan on using the Noobmariner for that. Since the Noob has an Asian movement, what do I need to do about a winding stem? I have searched Ofrei, but I could not find what I was looking for. Any suggestions? Also, I searched the bay for watch hands to fit the ETA and a new bezel insert. Anyone have any leads for these items? Comments and advice appreciated. Will post photos as I complete. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Let me start of by saying, I am new at this game, so I apologize for my ignorance up front. I purchased a TW Best case from a trusted member in order to build a watch and would like some advice. I have two movements to use, a 2824 that came out of a Sandoz watch and a 2836 from another one. I would really like to use the 2824 movement, but not sure if it will fit? As far as the dial and strap, I plan on using the Noobmariner for that. Since the Noob has an Asian movement, what do I need to do about a winding stem? I have searched Ofrei, but I could not find what I was looking for. Any suggestions? Also, I searched the bay for watch hands to fit the ETA and a new bezel insert. Anyone have any leads for these items? Comments and advice appreciated. Will post photos as I complete. Thanks in advance.

Steve

I do believe teh 2824 and the 2836 are the same size, so either should fit. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. You can get winding stems for the ETA 28XX from OFrei (again I believe the 2824 and 2836 would use the same stem). You just need to know the thread size of the crown you'll be using. The winding stems that are already in your movements may work fine. For hands, try to find Tudor Submariner hands. They'll fit the ETA. If you want a genuine bezel insert, you'll have to hunt around a bit. If you want an aftermarket bezel insert, they're plentiful on EBay. Another worthwhile upgrade for you will be a genuine triplock crown and tube, also available on EBay. The Zigmeister has posted a crown tube installation tutorial on the forum for your reference.

Good luck!! I'm almost done collecting parts for the identical project!

cheiftang- The 2836 and 2824 are different in terms of thickness and stem placement. With regards to stem location, I found this out when trying to build my franken-datejust using a genuine case. The 2836 wouldn't line up, but the 2824 fit perfect! So, for the TW Best... I would suggest the 2836, as that is what those came equipped with originally.

Winding stem should be a tap 10- Crown will be a tap 10. I would take this oppotunity to add a genuine crown and tube as that will make for a huge difference in function, feel and aesthetics.

cheiftang covered everything else with regards to hands, insert, etc.

:)

The 2824 and the 2836 are the same diameter (maybe 25.6mm) and the 2824 is like 4.6mm thick and the 2836 is maybe 5.3mm thick. The big issue is going to be how the stem/crown line up with the casetube when you put it together. Since the majority of these watches use the 2836, you should start there.

If you have a stem, you can put it in a pin vise and unscrew it from the crown, and then screw it into a Rolex crown, rep or gen should be the same threads. If you don't have a stem, it's www.ofrei.com/ or www.julesborel.com/ for the part. I would think you could reuse the crown from the noobmariner, if it matches up w/ the case tube on the TW case. One of my gripes w/ the noobmariner is the big crown- it's at least 1mm taller than the gens that I have. Or you could go w/ the gen crown and tube for an upgrade.

Watch hands are on ebay- look for Tudor hands, because Tudor uses an ETA movt. Aftermarket bezels are everywhere- type in Rolex bezel in search. I put a Lee Raymond aftermarket bezel on a CN sub and was happy w/ the results, it ain't gen, but it's not bad at all.

Stem from the 21j Asian noobmriner won't work, as the square keyless works boss is completely different. An ETA 28xx specific stem will need to be used. Should only be a couple bucks for a pack of 2 or 3...

As for hands... When searching on eBay, be very careful and pay close attention to the Tudor hands being offered. Usually, the back end of the seconds hand is too short...

As for hands... When searching on eBay, be very careful and pay close attention to the Tudor hands being offered. Usually, the back end of the seconds hand is too short...

Ubi first pointed this out to me when I was starting to collect parts, and since being tipped off I've noticed that none of the readily available generic Tudor sub hand sets have a correct seconds hand. I picked up a set of gen Tudor hands. But, I've also noticed that the rep seconds hand isn't very offensive and could probably be mated with a good set of generic Tudor hour and minute hands. My main complaint with most rep hands was the often too-narrow strip of lume especially on the long minute hand. Also, the section of lume below the Mercedes emblem on the hour hand is often too short. So, I feel that if you fix the details on the hour and minute hands, you're pretty much golden. Long story short: I think you can get away with good quality generic Tudor hands as long as you don't use the seconds hand.