When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PP Aquanaut review *New*

fischyyy

Hey guys,

the postman dropped my new Patek Phillipe Aquanaut off this morning, I'm exited to wear it and will post my first impressions and some pics.

Dial

img0036yc.jpg

Band

img0038xw.jpg

Caseback

img0039q.jpg

Clasp

img0045ed.jpg

Lumeshot

img0042ly.jpg

Wristshot

img0040cv.jpg

It is the ETA-Version which I got from Andrew, it looks really nice and the quality of the fit an finishing is amazing compared to my Planet Ocean rep. It is really well made, I especially love the dial, you cannot see it on the pics but is really is a 1:1 rep. As I have no long term experience with the accuracy yet I can't vouch for that, but Anderew calibrated it to +3s before shipping and I expect it to be really accurate.

The two things which I do not love are the clasp, which feels a bit flimsy and cheap, it does not close 100% and leaves a small gap, and I find the finishing on the movement to be a bit lazy.

The genuine Aquanaut is a normal 21k rotor and not some crazy off center micro rotor movement, so with some more finishing and correct engravings the movement really could be nearly 1:1 as well.

I'd happily pay 100 bucks more for that.

The lume is much better than on the pic, i think it's better than my Omega Seamaster PO.

With the Omega being my daily beater I found the Patek to be incredibly light, lighter than almost any watch I have ever worn.

It almost feels too light and a bit toy-like. As i do not have the weight of the genuine or a digital scale I cannot say if this is down to the rep or if it's just the normal feel of the rep.

But I still love the feel on the wrist, you hardly notice it, it's understatement at it's best, in a very beautiful and comfortable package.

Great rep!

Yeah the lume is as good as my gen Tag Heuer Aquaracer. The pics were shot with an iPhone 4s, so i can't adjust exposure time and the lume looks weak. But it really is sufficient. The thing i've noticed after wearing it a bit is the clasp does not close properly, there is a little 2-3mm gap in the middle of the Patek logo. And the polished metal is extreamly fingerprint prone. I have never kept it clean for more than 30mins :D.

Nice watch overall, but my daily beater is still my Planet Ocean Seamaster (which now feels like 100 pounds :D).

The movement looks surprisingly good as the gen does not have a micro rotor like the Nautilus. It has been over a year since I've seen the gen but someone who only vaguely knows the gen can even be fooled by the movement, which is a bonus compared to the Nautilus, where it is a dead giveaway.

Edited by fischyyy

The movement looks surprisingly good as the gen does not have a micro rotor like the Nautilus.

I am pretty sure the new gen versions (of either one) has no microrotor :pimp: . Unfortunately I think there are very few watches made these days with microrotor gen or rep :snorkel: .

No Aquanauts have a Micro rotor, but some Nautilus' do (240PS movement).

Unfortunately I think there are very few watches made these days with microrotor gen or rep :snorkel: .

I was not aware of any reps with a micro rotor, could you give an example? :g:

I have this same rep, it's great but be careful around water. I greased and sealed mine up expecting it to be tight and when I tested it under a little pressure some water got in around the edges of the crystal. Glad I did it without the movement in the case. So even though they can rep the shape of the crystal they can't seem to seal it up 100%... OK to shower, but don't go in the pool ;)

Great tip, thanks :) But as with any rep I would not advise any kind of showering or swimming :snorkel: That's what I have my gen Aquaracer for. Even if some reps are waterproofed to 30m I would not rely on that.