When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Us Members: Please Vote

archibald

There has never been, and may never be again a two year period during which so many huge issues--issues so basic to our system of government--will be hashed out: The babance of power between the executive, congress, and courts; the application of the bill of rights in the 21st century, how we prosecute wars, which civil liberties each of us will maintain in a long term war on terror, the rights of states..and on and on and on. Even if only one of these were at stake, it would be worth ten minutes of your time....but they all are.

It doesn't matter who you vote for or where you stand on any of these issues--what's important, essential in fact, is that we let them know we're watching carefully.

its true

if your in Virg, Tenn or Missouri - the senate vote is neck and neck

there are about 45 us house races that are competative. If your seeing commercials every thirty seconds on the evening news about how aweful one of the congressional candidates is? you most likley live in one fo those districts

Yes, it is crucial that we do not misunderestimate the importance of the War On Terror. But, with that said, our country *has* seen far tougher times in the past.

we have gone through tuffer times. WWII civil war - great depression- the dressing in the 70's

but, we are at a critical time - big decision. Crucial times.

this isn't like stock bubble bs - this is sustaining our fat lazy society. the chinese are nipping at our heals and were walking out the front door drunk, looking for a cab to take us to the next party and handing the keys to the kingdom over to china.

the cost of this war is going to hurt - not today, not tommorow but someday soon, and if not stopped, for the rest of our life.

As the last superpower it now comes down to assuming being the world's policeman. With that comes responsibilities that are no longer manageable by any one country, there are no even checks and balances anymore, therefore the USA is viewed as the big bully. Terrorist, nothing new in history, is the only way to try to even the playing field for those that view us as overwhelming unsurmounting odds, comes with the role. And maybe we have assumed that world perception through ignorance, arrogance, apathy and complacency. The USA as a whole are not the most worldly knowlegeable society, we are so self-absorbed from economic superiority. I grew up and went through the Vietnam Era, from serviceman to hippie, I think that was more turmoil for our society than today, but I have the eyes of been-there-done-that syndrome so I no longer count. My children must craft this society to recognize that although we have tech for military superiority, we will eventually lose out in economic superiority to the Chinese. At that point the resilience against economic hardship on this country always will bring out the best as in the great depression of my parents. I believe my children are still and will make this country number one and carry on. I am an immigrant to the USA, although originally born here, left (China) and came back. I have traveled the world and been in other societies. No where else will you find the ability to succeed more evenly handed out to a populus than here. China may surpass us eventually in economy but the opportunities for an individual will always beckon populus of the world to try to flock to this country for the chance at individual freedom and escape there societal boxes. Sorry, I see hope where you see danger. We obviously need societal changes and recent events warrant the change. The scrutiny of our politicians has gotten finite to where it is not only living in a fishbowl for them but sainthood if they can fly under the journalistic radar. Unfortunately this warrants spin, and spin get tiring, we are all more mistrustful now of our leaders. But with all our problems I'd rather be here than "there" or I would've left. - a 10 Cane Rum soaked oration. ZZZZZZZZZ

Well said, Nanuq...and if that happens--people taking ten minutes out of every day to read a couple of articles in their local paper and think about them--both parties would stop 1/2 their [censored] in about ten minutes.

If we had 70% turnout-in other words an engaged electorate--I guarantee we'd wake up to a vastly different county on november 8.

Well said Omni.

I say the most pressing issue of our time is to halt the animosity and get back to E Pluribus Unum.

As long as we're attacking each other we are weak and vulnerable. When we pull together, we are unstoppable.

Politics has got us thoroughly divided into red vs. blue ... pro vs. con ... up vs. down ... left vs. right ... haves vs. have-nots until I'm sick to my stomach.

In the end we are all Americans. When we embrace that again we will surmount all obstacles. Until then, we will continue to churn about in our judgements of each other, while Rome burns.

I challenge everyone here to stop being spoon-fed by whatever media you're absorbing, and THINK for yourself. Get informed. Refuse to be spoon-fed while you're seeking information. Then vote your honest conscience.

well said everyone

there are shows you can watch that aren't the typical talking points. I recomend - Mclaughlin group, "the chris mathews show" (note not hardball, this is a small group of journelists talking) and "the round table" on this week with stephanopololoslaluous. Not the whole show, it blows, but the round table part - real opinions not just talking points.

I also recomend Countdown with keith olberman. He has been drifting a little partison recently, But, he makes non- political points. Very lucid logical points.

One other thing we have to get rid of - Not all critisism or argument is "just political bs" No one has debates anymore, they have shouting matches and dismiss valid arguments against an idiology as just the other side sour grapes

well said everyone

there are shows you can watch that aren't the typical talking points. I recomend - Mclaughlin group, "the chris mathews show" (note not hardball, this is a small group of journelists talking) and "the round table" on this week with stephanopololoslaluous. Not the whole show, it blows, but the round table part - real opinions not just talking points.

I also recomend Countdown with keith olberman. He has been drifting a little partison recently, But, he makes non- political points. Very lucid logical points.

One other thing we have to get rid of - Not all critisism or argument is "just political bs" No one has debates anymore, they have shouting matches and dismiss valid arguments against an idiology as just the other side sour grapes

With the exception of Hardball--which has it's share of talking points screaming over one another--I agree.

Naturally I think Olbermann is the greatest--but the best "independent" these days is Lou Dobbs. He's a Republican, but he's a populist through and through, IMO just what the coutry needs. He calls it like he sees it, bashes Bush and the Dems in the same sentence more often than not, and seems to me to be genuinely concerned for the interests of people who work their asses off just to give their kids a better life than they had, which is the overwhelming majority of Americans. I don't agree w/ him on immigration, but he's also obsessed w/ paperless voting machines, which I think are the single greatest threat to Democracy, by a long shot.