When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steelfish SuperOcean - heart and soul finally revealed..

Smab

Hello all Breitling fans. I was playing watchmaker with my dad's old broked YachtMaster Rolesium (socalled "BeginYachty"), which lead me to the idea of opening my SFSO, blue dial Swiss ETA2836-2 edition.

I used a sticky ball of tape to open the broked Yachty, as I read on the forums as a tip, if in lack of a proper caseback opener. It worked wonders - I got off the caseback, managed to detatch the stem and the crown, and was able to take the hole movement out of the case. Plastic movement holder, the cheapest ever chinese clone movement, 21J, 21600bph I believe.

Interesting task, since it was my first atempt to do such a thing. Now I feel I am able to try and learn more about watch movements, changing movements, maybe changing dials and such, but I am still a novice, and only dare this because the watch was already broken.

Of course I remembered I allways wanted to have a look inside my SFSO, to see if it really was a gen ETA. I finally dared try, and used the same sticky ball of tape.

The caseback sat quite hard, but I was beeing as carefull as I was able, and it finally came loose.

First of all - this must be the most impressive caseback ever! Inside it has a kind of beautiful consentric pattern, which is very nice to hold under a light, it makes all kinds of reflections and glitters - and engraved "Breitling" "Swiss Made" in the middle. So much effort making a part, that will be invisible to most owners, apart from the few opening up the watch, or the watchmakers dooing service.

I am truly impressed! And the caseback is so thick, I think it must be close to 30 grams (1 ounce)! If all gaskets were really well made and lubed, I think this watch, at least in theory, was able to be 1000m waterproof, as claimed by the cartel dealers.

But finally, the inside: Yes, it is confirmed - a nickelplated gen ETA 2836-2 movement, with all proper markings and engravings. Running very well for the last 3,5 years, since I bought the watch from Josh.

I even remembered the local AD (not Breiting AD, but Omega, TAG and other brands), when I as a novice, and total noob, made a visit, asking him to adjust the bracelet, I had no clue it was so easy with simple tools, but he did not manage, telling there must be something wrong with the bracelet. He asked why I did not adjust it where I got it, but I told him it is not possible, since I got it from China(!) As a total noob, I told it was a replica. I should have told him I bought it somewhere abroad or something, but said is said. I added "but it has a gen swiss movement"... "Oh, I think not!" he said, he was sure I had paid much way too much (about 350USD I told him that as well!), guessing it would not work for long. But, it has been sweet for 3,5 years now., so guess he was wrong then!

So, the next challenge, where to find a watchmaker in central Norway, taking service on a gen ETA, but in a replica case???

Any tip? I think it will be time for service soon, as the manual wind is not very smooth, and it looses a few seconds per day. In beginning it gained a few seconds.

I am sure Domi does great work. I have been in contact with Domi regarding service. As Norway is outside EU, he prefer to have the watches shipped from inside EU to avoid customs hassle.. So Norwegians who would like to use Domi must take a trip to Sweden, Denmark or another EU country. Also, you must fresh up your German or Italian to communicate with him. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mehe.. as a swede i can just say... bad luck ;)

Talk to Domi though, he has a guy here on the forums that will help you with the language... aka translate for you ;)

Send me a PM and ill supply his email adress and you will be able to use english in your emails.

P.s Domi is great as stated above.