When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2824 in Gen Omega Smp

KMAC

Have a gen omega smp coming (makes three and one rep) but this one had a water damaged movement. Not sure how bad it is, but worst case can I put a 2824 movement in the case as is. I am pretty sure the 2892 based 1120 movement is 25% thinner, but has this been done? If not and I need a new movement can anyone help me source a cheap 2892 or even better the omega 1109/1120 movements?

Also looking for some replacement GEN parts on the cheap.

Thanks and happy new year.

a 2824 should fit but you would have to do away with the anti mag cover, a 2892 can be found for around the €100 mark if you search for a used one or you coud fit the seagull 2892 copy,

I have a franken SMP with every thing gen ecepet the case, crystal, bezel and insert, PM me if you are interested in selling your one that need the movement or vice versa

Yukiwatch has movement spacers for ETA. Ask him.

thanks, I couldn't find him while searching is there another name to search for or is there spaces somewhere in the name?

a 2824 should fit but you would have to do away with the anti mag cover, a 2892 can be found for around the €100 mark if you search for a used one or you coud fit the seagull 2892 copy,

I have a franken SMP with every thing gen ecepet the case, crystal, bezel and insert, PM me if you are interested in selling your one that need the movement or vice versa

I will let you know, you can let me know if you want to sell the gen movement B) for cheap.

Also how much interchangeability between the 2892 and 1120 is there. Can I source the parts to fix it the 1120 straight from 2892 parts? Can the 1120 oscillating weight fit back on the 2892? can i take the base and the weight and put back together using 2892 donor movement or is the more work Omega did to them that will cause them not to fit.

an 1120 is just a nicely decorated chronometre grade 2892 in reality,

on some of the above posts, a movement ring for an 1120 will fit a 2892, 2824, 2836 no need for a different spacer or any thing like it the hands will fit as well, you could fit a seagull ST18 straight in ther case and have it working within an hour

etasmall2du6.jpg

andy,

Thanks for the pics and info. I am aware of the diameter similiarities, but given the small profile of the GEN SMP and how the 1120 movement is snug in there, I wasn't sure if the taller 2824 would work. I believe now it is worth giving it a shot if I can't source an 1120 or a 2892A2 for this rebuild (if it doesnt work I won't lose my ass dumping the 2824 to someone elses project).

I will let you know as this progresses. I will get some pictures of the damages (for everyones shits and giggles) and to record the starting point of the project. Thanks for the help and if anyone runs across the 1120 movement for sale please let me know. (I had someone source me one for $899, but I don't think so and another for $599 on ebay) I have seen them go for a fraction of that cost and if I can't find it, put in an ETA and then enjoy the watch until I find a good priced 1120.

ANDY-

Did you sell your SMP Franken? I saw it for sale, but didn't follow it to the end.

It's always seemed to me that as long as you use the dial spacer that comes with the movement any of the 28xx movements are interchangeable. I've assumed they are all sized for the same crown and stem spacing in the case. Either that or "ignorance is bliss", cause I've swapped a lot of those movements around without any problems.

Any of the experts have info or opinion on this theory?