When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

dual tourby -WHAT is so HARD about throwing this watch together

fotoman

Pretty sure the factories that are capable of building this movement are gonna keep it exclusive to their own brands to build prestige

thats not how the chinese work. sea-gull is a chinese co. they sell branded regular tourby for 3k that you get re branded by millionsmart for 5-600. its the same movts in the new breed of reps. and tons on ebay. so they either buy them or copy them. if they can build the movt how hard can it be to throw 2 in a case and have the 2nd just run via an extra gear off the 1st? the whole concept of a tourby is ridiculous related to its purpose and a knowledge of basic physics. it was invented post newton but pre- einstein and does nothing to free the movt from gravity. they are for entertainment purposes only.

millions mart pumps out both type of tourbillon. throw them together so i can have the most talked about watch ever-as a conversation starter :)

I dunno... when I first saw the flying tourbillon movement a year or so ago I was like, wow that is the most amazing thing I've seen in a watch ever. Now I've got used to how they look I think they just look cluttered and awkward. Not massively impressed with the look of that dual tourby if I'm honest. I think if I had one, the novelty would wear off. Don't get me wrong, I do sometimes quite like a busy-ish dial - pretty much all the watches I've ever owned have been chronos, with the odd plain dial here and there... but I just think tourbillons are over-the-top and quite ugly actually.

Some of the really stupid expensive tourbillons that other watch companies have made are impressive though. Fair play to seagull though, for making these movements.

I hear ya. Though, I will say, watching my tourby, is mesmerizing. I have had it for a few years and, I need one in my collection at all times. I like simple dials so the only thing that catches your eye is the tourby. I think we all would love a 360 cage tourby, but, that's not going to happen. They are mainly show pieces and i don't even think they were realistically meant to wear. They have to be stupid delicate.

While the double tourb is just 2 cages - it doesn't improve the time anyway, just add an extra gear to run the second tourb. Imean i guess the movement has to take a lot of stress doing it. But, there has to be a solution.

:)

Chinese movement factories do indeed sell movements for OEM assemblers, but there may be some movements that they don't offer for use outside their own brand. Either that or the people that usually do no-name tourbillons dont think it will be profitable to sell double-tourbillons. The demand for such a high end complication without a brand name could be relatively low, especially relative to the price of the movement.

In theory, sure it is easy to just slap on a couple gears and a cage for another tourbillon. In practice, there are difficulties in manufacturing and assembly that may prohibit it. If a single tourbillon has reliability issues, two tourbillons could have well over double the failure rate.