When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So what to do with the handwind pams without running sec?

slask111

Hello folks,

Been of the Pams for a while but i figure that with the latest releases and how good they are its to good to pass on. Who knows when or if we will se something like this in the future.

Im looking for a base pam, like the 000 or 112. A wery clean watch if you ask me. So now to the problem. Should i get one?

After reading (alot) on the forums im no smarter. There seems to be no good version at the moment. And i base this due to the fact that im not able to swap movements my self, and i want a out of the box rep. Hasslefree so to speak.

H maker movement is not reliable? (Lowbeat 6497).

Noob movement not reliable? (running sec stem mod might be bad).

So what to do? Anyone happen to know if H or Noob is updating their movements soon or something? The 000 sports a closed caseback so put whatever in there right?

Any tips on how to solve this. Just want a base pam without running secs thats reliable.

Tnx for your time.

Haha thnx for all the help. Buy it! No dont buy it! I would make an offer on that one for sale but im in EU and its with a rubber strap. But man that 000 looks good.

Maybe i have to order a new one and have it serviced. But it would be better if the factorys would sort out their movement issues ;)

And no im not going with running secs. I just loooove the clean look without secs on the dial. Love it! (and its the cheapest as a gen, passable ;))

Haha thnx for all the help. Buy it! No dont buy it! I would make an offer on that one for sale but im in EU and its with a rubber strap. But man that 000 looks good.

Maybe i have to order a new one and have it serviced. But it would be better if the factorys would sort out their movement issues

And no im not going with running secs. I just loooove the clean look without secs on the dial. Love it! (and its the cheapest as a gen, passable )

Ok, - check out the thoughts on collecting thread in my sig. Tell me if your following down the thought path I did.

Rules I looked for that I now find useless

1. Stay under 5 k to keep ownership more reasonable - nobody give a [censored]. Not 1. Get what you like f-ck everyone else.

2. Service watches - screw it, when the movement is half the price of servicing. Play the odds. My experience says you have a 1 in 50 chance of movt failure and a 99% chance you will sell the watch your buying in the next 6 mo cause your bored.

3. Expect Chinese factories make simple fixes - might as well pull your hair now. They are more likely to screw it up more rather than make simple fixes.

4. Spend whatever it takes to get the "best" rep as a newb - slow down there tonto, buy 1,2,3 reps first, wear them on your wrist instead of looking at 600x magnified super light managed photos. If you don't. Like your 111 or whatever, then go for your grail, and put $$ into "mods"

5. Put $$ into Swiss movt. No Get Asians if the beat rate is correct. They are as reliable as Chinese "Swiss" - put the money into straps and AR coatings. No comparison relating to the $/ value you can spend. Give me a 100$ rep throw a strap and AR on it, it will look like a 20k watch

Also - note I said The Zigmeister. The Zigmeister is the # 1 source and authority on rep movements in all of the rep universe bar none. If The Zigmeister says it, might as well be Moses with tablets.

Ok, I saved you 2 weeks of research - enjoy

phoband, good and valid points. I guess its love that make you want to service a watch. To be honest im happy that i did service a few gems thats not avalible anymore.. so i couldnt buy a new one if the one i own broke. But i only do that with keepers.

Thnx again, sometimes i think to much and need to get back down to earth.

phoband, good and valid points. I guess its love that make you want to service a watch. To be honest im happy that i did service a few gems thats not avalible anymore.. so i couldnt buy a new one if the one i own broke. But i only do that with keepers.

Thnx again, sometimes i think to much and need to get back down to earth.

No worries man, we all do. That's why I wrote the article. We all are a bit nutty just to spend all this time for the 2nd most accurate timekeeper we wear on our person (phone)

Even us "old timers" go overboard. And I can tell you from personal experience and observation, it takes a few years before you stop camping out at the mailbox. :). That's what makes this fun. Soooo many people looking at soooo small things.

Nothing gets by us. Maybe not the first day. But in short time, we catch every little tiny detail. :) there is no reasonably available watch brand (gen) that is not owned by someone here. :)

We all contribute. As self titled "chief pontificator" :) I blather on about random crap :) every once and awhile it's useful.

It's funny you said someone to bring you back down, I thought if that scene in Airplane, calm down, get ahold of yourself slap slap.

I just spent at least 6 hrs in the last 24 (can't sleep) tracking down every variation of a croc pilot style strap up and down the internets. What I realized again is, although I have to pay a little more up front, I'm best off stickin with my dude HKTAN.

You learn lessons with time. A wise forum elder once said quality over quantity. :)

The current rep world is a garden of Eden. There is so much great stuff out there, your head will spin. And inevitably whenever you get a watch 2 weeks later something else hits that you want. Especially Pam, those hit every 32.5 seconds.

So, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

I completely agree and I have a 7 years old Eddie Lee PAM111 serviced by Zigmeister running like a champ and keeping great time!!!! :-)

Also - note I said The Zigmeister. The Zigmeister is the # 1 source and authority on rep movements in all of the rep universe bar none. If The Zigmeister says it, might as well be Moses with tablets.

It's funny you said someone to bring you back down, I thought if that scene in Airplane, calm down, get ahold of yourself slap slap.

Haha that is how i felt, truly! Now two days has passed and i realise that i just need to shill.

What to answer on such a nice post? No idea, but the words are true wisdom ;p Thnk god for the oldtimers ;)

Now i will just shill and find something i really want.. like a used 000 where someone already changed the movement. Might not be avalible today.. but someday :)

I think the chopped seconds "time-bomb" is a little overblown as well. I'm not disagreeing with Zig, I'm just saying a $200 purchase that could possibly only last a few months but still might run a very long time is not quite what I could call a "time-bomb" in the grand scheme of things. Having a watch that stops ticking is a little different than getting blown up in Afghanistan.

I've got a couple of $30 sterile 6497s sitting in a drawer right now. If my 112 stops, I'm not afraid to try hacking on one of those to try to get it working again. Or, heaven forbid, I'll just wear a different watch. Or buy the new model that will undoubtedly be released by then that makes my current one look like crap. ;) Just have fun with it :)

I think the chopped seconds "time-bomb" is a little overblown as well. I'm not disagreeing with Zig, I'm just saying a $200 purchase that could possibly only last a few months but still might run a very long time is not quite what I could call a "time-bomb" in the grand scheme of things. Having a watch that stops ticking is a little different than getting blown up in Afghanistan.

I've got a couple of $30 sterile 6497s sitting in a drawer right now. If my 112 stops, I'm not afraid to try hacking on one of those to try to get it working again. Or, heaven forbid, I'll just wear a different watch. Or buy the new model that will undoubtedly be released by then that makes my current one look like crap. Just have fun with it

I dont disagree. If it was just the movt I would say play the odds. But, it was the hands tearing themselves up. + I have a watch smith you can do it. But it probably be a 100$ by the time he's done mailing installing. Because this is the first purchase, stay safe. Realistically the running seconds isn't that major of a difference :) at least IMHO.

• 5 weeks later...

Phoband was overstating the seriousness of the issue with the modded movement. The pinion on the modified gear simply needs to be smoothed to fix the issue. Improper handling of this little pinion was the issue Zigmeister raised.

It's not as if the movement is inherently unfixable.

Ye some spare parts seems to be the way to go. Even though my watch smith (domi) seems to be able to sort it all.

Hmm maybe its time to go to TZ school and other classes to become a watch smith.. i can really se me doing this when its time to wind down from the current career (no pun intended).

Btw thnx for the clarification Jkay