When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer I

Bardamu

Hello guys,

I've been there for only few weeks now, and it's incredible all information I got from all of you. Thanks a lot for sharing.

At the moment, I only have poor quality replicas that I bought in the street, in China or HK. I'm now looking for better quality, and thanks to this forum I'm confident because I found good dealers.

My first watch will be an Explorer I 37 mm (the old model). I used the "search" function to try to get a feed back from buyers, but I didn't find clear information (maybe I made a wrong search ?). I cannot really see difference on the pictures on the different trusted dealers websites. Do you know if there is big differences from one trusted dealer to another ?

I have to say that I don't plan to make a franken. My intention is just to use it "out of the box", and I'm not looking for the ultimate 1:1 gen, with ZERO difference from the gen (it probably doesn't exist). I just want a nice rep, really good looking with swiss movement (don't need a clone movement, as it will not be open).

I'm sure all trusted dealers propose good reps of this model. But is there a difference between them (I don't care about few $ less or more) ?

Thanks for your help.

Paul

From what I have gathered the 'trusted dealers' all carry the same merchandise. Meaning, that the watches are created in the same factories. I believe the only difference is in customer service and pricing. I could be completely wrong, but this is what I gather from reading the forums.

Thanks for your answer. I read this also and I'm sure that in most of the case, watches come from the same factories, whoever is the seller. But sometimes, it seems that there are some differences. For instance, I've been checking a Submariner 14060. I saw on one website that the font for "oyster perpetual" is wrong, and it is right on another one. So... if pictures actually show the product for sale, it means that sometimes there are differences.

As far as I know, there's really only one 14270 rep (in two flavors) floating around on the trusted dealer sites. The cheaper A21J model has a crown that's too tall. The ETA-powered version costs almost double, has a better-looking crown, a higher beat (8 per second), but is otherwise identical. These are acknowledged to be very good reps. If you're anal, you'll notice the same deficiencies that plague almost all Datejust and Datejust-based reps e.g. angular lugs and wrong crystal/bezel dimensions. Either you end up thinking, "LHOOQ is nuts; nobody will notice those flaws," or -if you're very unlucky- you conclude, "LHOOQ is completely right! Only an expensive franken will ever make me happy!"

I have an older 14270 rep that I bought for $20 a few years back, and I still use it for swims every now and then. These may still be available from untrusted and unsavory sources.

LHOOQ, for sure I will not say that you're nuts ! :)

Thanks a lot for this complete and detailed answer. The choice is very clear for me now. All trusted dealers have the same production, not perfect but not so bad. I'm not looking for a real 1:1 that couldn't be detected by an expert. I just want a good looking watch out of the box, and with the right beat which is very important for me (so : ETA).

At the moment, it's ok. But maybe, after few more months on this forum, I will have higher expectations and begin to looks for some improvements and try to make a franken... ;)