When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

OMEGA 1120 movement may be bulletproof, but not waterproof

KMAC

The movement may be bulletproof, but it isn't waterproof :D This is a new project, but is this movement salvageable? any good points of contact to ask about recovering this gem or is no a good conversation piece paper weight?

Hi pressure water hammer cracked the crystal, fresh water go into the movement and it stopped I think instantly. This was a well used GEN SMP, so not worth over $1000 in the working condition it was in before the instance, so not looking to spend more than a couple hundred to get it back. (including new movement or movement service, dial, hands, and crystal)

photo1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo5.jpg

If anyone could salvage it, it's Zig. Genuine parts (as in Omega) are available for the 1120, so I'd say it's most certainly salvageable. Of course it depends on what it's worth to you. I've seen some pretty healthy amounts of money spend on franken projects, so why not a genuine? If it were me, I'd at least have it looked at for a full restoration estimate and go from there. Unlike a franken, at least you'd end up with something with a known value that you could liquidate on any market.

Good luck - and keep us posted!

It's hard to tell from the pics if thats dirt, or corrosion. If it's dirt and the movement was not wet for long then you have a reasonable chance. The fist step is to get it cleaned and dried asap before anything does corrode.

If it's corroded though you're looking at a major rebuild.