When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Angelus 4-Liner Project - I can see the light at the end of the tunnel

Donerix 2.0

This project has been over two years in the making so I have to go back all the way to my first GTG, the mother of all GTGs in Chicago in September of '09.

I was a full on noob and was blown away by the collections of calibers like Mr.B&W, Joe and Projectologist (who sold me my first quality vintage then) - just to name a few. But ultimately it was the work of the VDB boys from Germany (let's keep the sauce jokes to a minimum please) that got me dreaming about vintage Italian watches every day and spend thousands of hours after closing my restaurant at night learning about them and fiddling around with their lookalikes. That weekend in the windy city I knew that one day I had to own a watch with an Angelus SF240 movement (and just be like Joe for once who's watches then almost got me more excited than the girl I was traveling with at the time - and she was not hard on the eyes - ask Joe :) ):

Carola-Hat.jpg

But where to find a movement? I know there are guys here that pick them up strolling through the neighborhoud, but I live in a Third World country where most people don't even own a watch. None of the searching and ebay bidding turned out to be successful.

But then during my second GTG in good old Germany (another powerhouse BTW with a gen 6152 present) VDB made me an offer I couldn't refuse: a 4-piece weather station with my Angelus in it in trade for a considerable amount of my straps. "YES I DO", was all I could say and take her home until death will do us apart.

I was driving through most of Europe with the clock sitting on the dashboard so I could sneak the occasional peak - every kilometer...

But there was more for me waiting in Germany: KNOWLEDGE in the shape of a true magician: Merlin, the wizard from Austria.

merlin-2.jpg

He who already had excelled in building an 8-day masterpiece. On top of that he is a really great guy and the one responsible for the great crystal you will see later.

This project is more than just a hopefully nice watch I will never ever sell: It's proof for the great quality of people you find when you are with like-minded watch addicts.

So many members have helped me with this and my thanks go out to all of them and especially a few - without them this would have never gotten off the ground:

Ebzen's nimble hands shaped the case, Gordon's seemingly endless craftsmanship produced the 3-piece dial (a gigantic leap by itself, especially with a second subdial), the crown and crown tube, while neckyzips supplied the great pressure fit lug bars (and pressure it is, that Bruno is staying on there for good :) ) and last but not least Alvaro, the mechanic at the machine shop in the next town - mine only has a gas station - who custom made the movement holder on a gigantic lathe that is probably older than the movement itself and who usually machines parts for tractors and agricultural water pumps.

And of course Stephan who gave the whole thing the heart and the shoes (Bruno V1, no better strap out there - and trust me it pains me to say that being a strap maker myself....)

I know I am rambling, but I really wanted to show my gratitude towards all of you that have helped along the way. Well there is still a bit to go:

The original hands might be at the end of their life span and until now the hour hand still sits too low to pass by the second hand.

The new bezel that will allow the movement to sit up higher in the case so the crown stem will line up with the tube (that still needs to installed) is on the way. And then the great NW caseback will screw done as well too.

But look for yourself:

Please accept my apology for the finger prints and dust, but as I said this is still a work in progress.

4LA1.jpg

4LA2.jpg

Ebzen at work

4LA3.jpg

4LA4.jpg

Gordon's masterpiece

4LA5.jpg

4LA6.jpg

I prefer the "all wheels in place" look

4LA7.jpg

Can't wait until she will ride there every day.....