When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Problems

watchman12345

Turns out I need a new bezel, dial and bracelet for my orange PO purchased from a respected dealer. Will I be able to fit them myself or will I have to take it to a jeweler? Lots of hassle for my first purchase....

Will the dealer not replace the watch? These are simple things to replace, though. We can walk you through it. In fact, if you search the forum, you'll find all the info you need already posted.

Will the dealer not replace the watch? These are simple things to replace, though. We can walk you through it. In fact, if you search the forum, you'll find all the info you need already posted.

I wish he would....but he has sent the bezel and is trying to source a dial and he wont replace the watch... I wonder should I just ask again to replace it? Whats the usual practice? Would I send back the faulty watch and he sends out a new one?

Thanks

I don't know that there is a "usual" process... it's seems like it's usually handled on a per case basis.

You could always ask again, however if you have already agreed and parts were already shipped it may be too late to change any minds. If you aren't comfortable replacing the parts, see if your dealer will pick up the tab if you ship it to a repair shop of his choice to have the work done...

I had a look at the tutorial on taking apart a rolex, I reckon the bezel should be grand as it seems to be just pull off and snap on a new one. No way in the world would I be comfortable doing the dial replacement tho. Would this be expensive to have done at a jewelers? I would be a bit apprehensive asking them to work on a rep but I guess I have no choice at this stage. A bit of QC inspection of the watches would be great!!

It needs a new what what and what????

Did it explode on delivery? Are these flaws, cosmetic problems, operational problems???? It sounds like this watch is a disaster. Are you saying it was delivered in this condition? Not to start a firestorm here but it sounds like a slam dunk replacement to me.

Yes a bezel and bracelet replacement is no biggie to DIY but a dial replacement that involved pulling hands is something I wouldn't attempt at home.

It needs a new what what and what????

Did it explode on delivery? Are these flaws, cosmetic problems, operational problems???? It sounds like this watch is a disaster. Are you saying it was delivered in this condition? Not to start a firestorm here but it sounds like a slam dunk replacement to me.

Yes a bezel and bracelet replacement is no biggie to DIY but a dial replacement that involved pulling hands is something I wouldn't attempt at home.

They are cosmetic problems mainly...The bezel pearl is awful, the 9 o clock hour marker is flawed and the bracelet was scratched and keeps opening.

I had a look at the tutorial on taking apart a rolex, I reckon the bezel should be grand as it seems to be just pull off and snap on a new one. No way in the world would I be comfortable doing the dial replacement tho. Would this be expensive to have done at a jewelers? I would be a bit apprehensive asking them to work on a rep but I guess I have no choice at this stage. A bit of QC inspection of the watches would be great!!

Having the dial replaced is not a difficult task.

It would take about ten minutes at any competent watch smith's shop..

I have such a guy just down the street from me, I had to do a movement swap on one of my watches just recently (a franck muller crazy hours watch) and he did the swap (which involves pulling the hands off and replacing them) , lubricated the keyless works and checked for water resistance for $10 Canadian. It took him about 20 minutes because we fiddled around with the winding crown on the new movement making it flush with the case.

Don't worry about it, just get the parts and dive in at a watchsmith.. it's fun to see the inside of your watch :)

-Kaneda

They are cosmetic problems mainly...The bezel pearl is awful, the 9 o clock hour marker is flawed and the bracelet was scratched and keeps opening.

What do you mean the pearl is awful and the marker is flawed? Was the watch misrepresented in photographs?

I guess what I'm getting at is if you have a complaint that the watch ia a terrible quality, poorly manufactured one of that many have purchased and are happy with as a high quality replica, then I think the dealer is not stepping up to the plate and you are owed another watch. If the watch is a disapointment because you didn't do your homework before the sale and now on closer inspection, you've decided it's just not a good replica as an overall product, then I think the dealer is bending over backward to make you happy.

Not that any of this matters,...if you have worked out a satisfactory deal and have no problems with the resolution, so be it. I just wonder where this particular dealer falls on the customer service line. Most of them are terrific chaps.

To be honest I'm not happy. The pearl is nothing like the photo and the hour marker is just plain annoying me. As I said in another thread, its not a question of accuracy its a question of defects that shouldnt be there. In my opinion the watch should be replaced but since the bezel is already sent out he wont. I posted pics already in a post titlet "am I being too fussy". The dealer is possibly the most respected dealer on here...definitely in the top 3 or 4 anyway. Now I'm not saying he's being unhelpful. He is answering all my emails etc. I just think its kind of unfair I have to take it to a watchsmith to pratically replace the whole watch!

And I did loads and loads of homework! And paid $250 for the watch instead of $130 I could have paid from paul/silix to avoid these types of problems!

Talk about beginners unluck!

Thanks

Edited by watchman12345

To be honest I'm not happy. The pearl is nothing like the photo and the hour marker is just plain annoying me. As I said in another thread, its not a question of accuracy its a question of defects that shouldnt be there. In my opinion the watch should be replaced but since the bezel is already sent out he wont. I posted pics already in a post titlet "am I being too fussy". The dealer is possibly the most respected dealer on here...definitely in the top 3 or 4 anyway. Now I'm not saying he's being unhelpful. He is answering all my emails etc. I just think its kind of unfair I have to take it to a watchsmith to pratically replace the whole watch!

And I did loads and loads of homework! And paid $250 for the watch instead of $130 I could have paid from paul/silix to avoid these types of problems!

Talk about beginners unluck!

Thanks

I checked out the thread and your pics and.....this is a tough one.

Yes, in one respect, I can see the watch looking like a disaster to you, and I think a scratched, poorly functioning bracelet should be replaced. The other issues are a little bit tougher to resolve. I agree with you, this is a bit of bad luck but I can also see a dealer not wanting to set a precedent for replacement in light of these flaws. Before long, we might be going over our watches with loupes looking for dust and fingerprints and demanding replacements. This is where QC meets dissatisfied customers. On the other hand, a simple exchange for a PO clone that meets the high standards we have come to know in this replica is not an outrageous expectation.

I think if you had had this bad experience a few purchases into your relationship with a dealer and they know you are not a PIA about details and microscopic flaws, that you're just a guy who wants to make good quality and numerous purchases, there might have been a different resolution to this.

Ya it is a tough one isn't it... I suppose him sending out a new bezel, dial and bracelet is fair enough isn't it really. As long as they dont cost too much to get fitted I'll be happy. Have ordered the noobmariner as my second rep and will get a navimeter soon! I absoloutely love the watch so I would like to get it as free of defects as possible!

Well I am sorry to hear you went through so much from someone who is indeed represented as one of the best, and I would have thought he would send out a replacement too but if he can indeed get good parts to you that you can have installed for a minimum fee (again might see if he will reimburse you for it or give you a discount on your next order for it) then all is not as bad as it could be.

Bear in mind some gen ADs might well run you through even more hoops than this!

Ya well hopefully it will be sorted now soon! Might as well mention the dealer is Andrew. He is being very helpfull by offering to send out the replacement parts and I believe the bezel dial and bracelet are on the way! I would obviously have preferred a replacement watch to avoid the hassle of trying to find a watchsmith that will work on it, but the watch will be spot on after i get the parts, (I hope!). I can understand to an extent why he wouldnt send out a new watch as the flaws can only be seen when you examine the dial and bezel closely. It would still be nice not to have to go to this hassle all the same.

Thanks

Edited by watchman12345

Don´t stone me to death now ppl, but dealers should replace the watch.

Period.

Mean, look at their profits on these reps. They´re much higher than those of regular (gen) watch dealers/shops.

Dealers do have (or should i say, should have?) a direct connection to the rep factories, they are the link between the customer and the maker (pretty much like in the 'real world'). So, i dont wanna dream of warranty etc., but replacing a broken watch should be their hightes priority (customer care -> returning customers).

Illegal goods or not. The principle is just the same.

Don´t stone me to death now ppl, but dealers should replace the watch.

Period.

Mean, look at their profits on these reps. They´re much higher than those of regular (gen) watch dealers/shops.

Dealers do have (or should i say, should have?) a direct connection to the rep factories, they are the link between the customer and the maker (pretty much like in the 'real world'). So, i dont wanna dream of warranty etc., but replacing a broken watch should be their hightes priority (customer care -> returning customers).

Illegal goods or not. The principle is just the same.

No stoning but put yourself in the dealer's position. Do you want to start out in a transaction relationship with a customer by caving in on a request for an exchange over flaws that take a close inspection to find? To what higher standard might the next purchase be held??? I think the dealer is in a bad position here in having to draw a line and say "Look new guy, these are replicas and they all have flaws. If you start using a magnifying glass,....we're not going to be able to do business." But watchman is right too, this is a lousy QC'd watch. A PO is supposed to be a slam dunk replica. Getting one that's a little sloppy here, a little sloppy there, a little scratched...etc...must be frustrating.

Actually i´m not talking about flaws at all, i´m just talking about broken watches, doa watches etc.

We all know that a rep is a rep. But a rep is a still a watch that should do it´s only job -> showing the time.

(Ok, that was a bit overdone, but that´s what watches are all about per definition ;-))

Edited by mr1973