When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need a good base to work from! Franken

paneraiguy

Hi guys,

I just purchased some tools etc and want to start to build, mod and learn to service my own watches.

To start off I want to learn to pull down, service and mod a vintage Rep Submariner for myself, I'm bored on the weekends.

Can you guys recommend to me a good Vintage Rolex Sub that would be a good base to start off from please? I guess it would be better to have a Gen ETA to start off with??

I deal with Andrew and josh so if someone can help out that would be good.

I'm working towards doing a double red sub!

I checked the watchmaking section here and that's great, anyone with specific Submariner info that may help me that they wish to share please pm me, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks Paneraiguy

Sent from SUNRAY MINOR

Mate MBK MBW are the subject of about every third post in the rolex area, if you have to ask where to get one then you dont know enough yet to build one, and i am not trying to be sarcastic in any way, If you are going to build one you need to know about the crystal to use, crowns and tubes and movement moddes what year you are basing it on as that will affect the date wheel overlay you will want. It becomes more than just a simple project after a while as you hunt for the gen parts or the perfect hands ect.

I only got in to building MBWs after trading for some ones project that he did not want to or could not finish, with out a bit of research yours may just be one of them

to see what it could be like when you have almost finished look at the comparison in my sig

you know if you start with the a21j vintage subs from andrew/ Josh ect they have the same construction as gen and you would be working in the same direction, and collecting parts that you will be able to use in later projects.

Infact this one is not half bad at just over half the price of an MBW and you have a movement that is the prefered one

http://www.yourtrust...roducts_id=6174

you know if you start with the a21j vintage subs from andrew/ Josh ect they have the same construction as gen and you would be working in the same direction, and collecting parts that you will be able to use in later projects.

Infact this one is not half bad at just over half the price of an MBW and you have a movement that is the prefered one

http://www.yourtrust...roducts_id=6174

Hey thanks Andy, will do mate, that looks good to me! Cheers and thanks again for your advice.

Cheers

Sent from SUNRAY MINOR

Mate MBK MBW are the subject of about every third post in the rolex area, if you have to ask where to get one then you dont know enough yet to build one, and i am not trying to be sarcastic in any way,

Honestly, sometimes it's really had to figure out the acronyms especially since you can't search for "MBW" in the forum. It doesn't help to read 20 threads that mention MBW if knowbody tells you what MBW or provides a link.

As best I can tell, MBW is "Mary's Best Watch" aka Watch International, and she's not a trusted dealer here but has a forum on the other RWG web site. Did I get it right? Or, am I totally off?

No, MBW is not Watch International. The only person I know of that can source them is Narikka (I don't know that he is a trusted dealer here, but he is on other forums). There is no link, as there is no catalog of watches from which to choose. There are a few select models, and you have to cross your fingers that you are getting one of the better versions of the model you are looking for. It is quite a risk, but totally worth it.

Edited by ww12345

If you are just starting out, and the thought of fokking up a $300 watch scares the $hit out of you, then one of the cartel vintage a21j is perfect as Andy indicates. Other than stubby CGs (which can be blamed on 50 years of aggressive polishing :whistling:) they can make a credible looking watch. If you just want to practice stuff like crown changing and CG whittlin' then pick up one of the $25 - $50 "modern" Subs. If you totally screw up one of these cases it's no biggee and excellent training.

Are MBW and MBK synonymous? I've seen them used interchangeably.

What do you think about Narikaa's Noob subs from Thailand versus the ones from China?

Honestly, I have a $55 Timeshop LV Sub and I can't tell the difference between that and the Thailand Noob Sub.

As best I can tell, MBW is "Mary's Best Watch" aka Watch International

It's "Maria's Best Watch" and they are long gone.

Maria was a male dealer from BKK and former boy toy of TTK. :whistling:

Maria is a man and YES he and TTK were indeed humping

Narikaa sells MBK watches from a small shop in Mahboonkrong BKK, which used to sell the same watches like Maria in the past.