When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tired of this "game"? (constantly need parts..)

ingirum

I agree its a pain , a mate I showed some stuff ended up buying 2 cheapo B&Rs in a week screws fell out & cost him 25$ for one screw. My first noobmariner movement died , loved the watch , wanted to repair it but it was easier and probably cheaper to buy new , so that's what I did.. Some things can be prevented by screwing tighter or glue, some thing just break . as for gens for the price of an average repair or service you could buy 2 new quality reps and avoid the 2-3 month wait . Its part of the game , keep on playing , you might never win but its still fun to take part in

Personally I buy these watches with money I can afford to loose.. so I just enjoy the hobby for what it is, if a watch breaks I fix is at best I can, if it's terminal I'll keep it for parts.

It's a bit like motor racing.. only drive what you can afford to crash.

Having said that a GZ based parts dealer would definitely do well.. every better if the took requests and could track down specific bits.

I don't disagree at all on having realistic expectations. It's the rep game after all. And loctite is of course a great idea, but I have several clasps/etc. of cheap steel that wear out very fast, and then what do you do?

All that said, I think I have maybe 90% of my watches wearable at any given time which isn't bad. But dammit I need a friggin crystal gasket! or two or three.

Personally I buy these watches with money I can afford to loose.. so I just enjoy the hobby for what it is, if a watch breaks I fix is at best I can, if it's terminal I'll keep it for parts.

It's a bit like motor racing.. only drive what you can afford to crash.

Having said that a GZ based parts dealer would definitely do well.. every better if the took requests and could track down specific bits.

Ya yes yes

In general I do not send $$ to china for anything if I'm not willing to lose it

I stopped buying complete watches awhile back. I do see guys buying complete reps and being upset they die or a bracelet breaks. As already been stated these are reps, made in china and not the best quality. Personally I'm amazed they can crank out a clone mechanical movement at such cheap prices.

I'm enjoying the hunt much more now. I usually have a few project ideas going and gathering parts for each of them.

When I get the final parts for one of those projects..I just bundle it all up and send off to J! Then I sit back and keep looking for more parts. :)

As far as movement problems, I've been lucky I guess. I've killed a couple keyless works but all the rest run well . If I do have a death... I'll find another replacement movement. I am getting better taking these apart and putting them together again. Really enjoying that aspect. The guys on here that service movements amaze me. Hope I can do that some day.