When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750 valjoux, then the improved version?

spitfire

Hi Guys,

Sorry, but i guess this question has been asked before.. not having any luck finding the answer though.

My father in law has a Breitling Navitimer with an asian 7750 Valjoux 28.800 he bought from a respected dealer in this forum.

It is very difficult to impossible to get it to run right... it is always running to fast or to slow. A watchmaker also tried.

Now he has his eye set on a IWC Portuguese with the improved 29J version of the same asian 7750 valjoux 28.800. We are concerned that he will experience the same difficulties with this one. We can read the that this is the improved 29J version, but is this really more eliable?

:)

There are many variables when it comes to timekeeping accuracy.

Rule 1, if the movement is not properly serviced, you can't expect it to keep accurate time.

Rule 2, the person wearing the watch has a large effect on timekeeping, especially when considering an automatic movement. Some people don't move enough to wind the watch, others move just enough to wind it only enough to get it running, and others move a lot and have no issues. Automatic watches are designed to run accurately at full wind.

If you haven't had the movement serviced, and the beat and rate adjusted, your wasting your time trying to get it running accurately.

Stay away from any running seconds at 6 movements, or plan on having the watch serviced and possibly removing the running seconds gears.

Bottom line:

If you really feel the need to own a somewhat reliable Asian 7750 watch, plan on spending the price of another decent rep watch, just to insure that it runs as reliably as your average 21j "el cheapo"!!

That formula just doesn't add up in my reality scenario....

Cheers guys!

So what you're basically saying is that expect to get it serviced and wind it, then you could have a ok functioning movement. ?! (I know The Zigmeister said to stay away from seconds at six)

you guys and your knowledge are really an asset for us novices :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by spitfire

Please forgive me for asking a newbie question, but can any qualified watch repairman service the A7750 or must it be someone specialized in rep watches that use this movement? If I were to ask a repairman to service the movement is there anything in particular that I should for? My watch is a Breitling Flying B.

Yes, a "Qualified watchmaker" can certainly handle an A7750.

The problem is in finding someone who is qualified...there are many wannabe watchmakers out there and there are many more who do nothing but happily take your money.

You can ask a simple easy question to determin if the individual knows anything about a 7750 caliber.

Ask "what is the depth of the engagement of the tilting pinion", and see what you get in response.

The answer is 2/3 of a tooth depth, this is simple stuff and should be easily answered by a competent watchmaker. I would be curious as to how you make out...good luck...

Yes, a "Qualified watchmaker" can certainly handle an A7750.

The problem is in finding someone who is qualified...there are many wannabe watchmakers out there and there are many more who do nothing but happily take your money.

You can ask a simple easy question to determin if the individual knows anything about a 7750 caliber.

Ask "what is the depth of the engagement of the tilting pinion", and see what you get in response.

The answer is 2/3 of a tooth depth, this is simple stuff and should be easily answered by a competent watchmaker. I would be curious as to how you make out...good luck...

Zigmeister your sooooooooo goooood.LZ