When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Portuguese - Advice would be appreciated

zafod

A while ago I bought an IWC Portuguese (one of my all time favourite watches). I had the crystal sent away for AR treatment and bought a nice Alligator strap.

It had the adapted "second @ 6" movement and is not very reliable; it works fine when off the wrist and turned face down but will sometimes stop after a couple of hours (or less) on the wrist.

Because I liked the look of this watch so much, I bought another one, this time with the new improved 29j movement. I planned to swap over the strap and AR crystal to the new watch and then sell on the other one.

The strap swap was no problem but I can't work out how to do the crystal swap. The inside of the cases are different and while I can get the crystal (including surround) off the 1st watch, I can't see a way of getting it off the 2nd; the 1st watch (when you take the case off) has 4 screws that hold the crystal (and steel surround) to the case. In the 2nd watch there are no screws.

Can anyone offer me some advice as to how it can be done, or maybe even someone can do it for me (for the required fee, of course). I'm in EU.

Thanks.

Edited by zafod

You need to remove the bezel in order to swap the crystal. I don't think this is a good watch to practice on. Unless you have the skill, practice and the right tools there is a good chance that you will damage the bezel and/or the midcase. You may want to check with the EU watchsmiths.