When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM390 or PAM127?

Rastko

Hi all!

I was so lucky to ran on this forum, as it improved my knowledge of reps.

I am deciding now which one to buy - PAM390 or PAM127? I have 8" wrist and all big watches looks good

on my hand and the bigger the better for me! :)

Based on all your advice, I have picked the Trusty and now I am not quite sure should I go for 47 or 44mm?

Both reps are very close to gen and Trusty has best rep variants for them.

I was even close to go for 187, but decide for more classic one to be my first.

I would also like to get Kain heritage gator strap that will perfectly fit on my new Panerai.

And one more question, will 130/80 strap be too small for my wrist?

Looking forward in getting my first rep and others will follow ...... :clap2:

Thanks,

R.

Both are great reps and with an 8 inch wrist you can certainly wear either. I would start with the Fiddy. it is the black dial 47mm classic. I own a few PAM's and that is the one that gets the most wrist time. But it is personal preference. Both are stunning reps.

Both are great reps and with an 8 inch wrist you can certainly wear either. I would start with the Fiddy. it is the black dial 47mm classic. I own a few PAM's and that is the one that gets the most wrist time. But it is personal preference. Both are stunning reps.

Thanks.

More and more tempted now. Even teased maybe to get lefty version of Fiddy, although I am right handed and wear watch on my left hand?

Still deciding ...

I'd go with the 127 as well. You've got a good-sized wrist, so 47mm isn't a problem.

I think the 127 is a little more accurate, since the factories can never seem to get sausage dials quite right.

The open caseback isn't really a problem for the 127 since the current rep movement is very good.

For me, the 127 is one of those classic models that will always be given reverence (the destro version as well.) The 390 never really appealed to me as much, because it's "just another" dial-hands-case combination of the Base Luminor, while the Fiddy was completely unique for Panerai at the time.

As for strap length, it depends on how much tail you like. (Not that kind of tail...get your minds out of the gutter. :nono: ) The typical strap length for an 8" wrist is 130/80; however, if you get a strap made of a thicker material, you'll want to go with something longer, like 135/85 or even 140/90.

The fashion is to have considerable tail showing, since historically, these things were supposed to be worn over wetsuits, so a standard issue strap would be very very large on a bare wrist.

I have 390 from Trusty and it is really, really good rep, if not the best, shipping it off to get serviced today so it can run well "forever". With your wrist size, you are in a good spot.

Honestly you should have both. But if I were you I would definitely start with 127, get it serviced right away and maybe look at gunny 74 Serie strap http://gunnystraps.blogspot.com/

Since you are right handed I would not risk getting lefty.

Edited by lfovco

I would get the 127 as well. Its just a stunning watch.

And then i own a 390 my self! Love the watch, its way better on the wrist then what the pictures show. Mine is also on its way for a service.. and i dont service many of my watches.. its that nice.

Buuuuut. If i had the wrist i would def. get the 127 in a heartbeat.

Conclution: get them both! :)