When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836 asian clone or 2836 swiss ?

Seventhfool

Hi!

My questoin is, in a Rolex GMT II is it worth the money to go for the swiss 2836 instead of the 2836 asian clone ?

7th

Interesting problem with this specific watch. The 2836 watch uses a Chinese add-on gmt module which is prone to malfunction so in the particular case of the gmt iic, buying the reliable asia 21j gmt movement version is preferred. The bonus is spending only $70.

Your call, tho.

Interesting problem with this specific watch. The 2836 watch uses a Chinese add-on gmt module which is prone to malfunction so in the particular case of the gmt iic, buying the reliable asia 21j gmt movement version is preferred. The bonus is spending only $70.

Your call, tho.

JKay - Would an Explorer II face the similar situation. In other words, would an Asia 2836 work for an Explorer II or would you rather expend the extra $$ for an ETA?

JKay - Would an Explorer II face the similar situation. In other words, would an Asia 2836 work for an Explorer II or would you rather expend the extra $$ for an ETA?

Basically the same issue, just a different dial and hands on top. I completely agree with JKay's assessment. I own a couple GMT's with the 21J and they have been uber reliable. I just did a dial swap over an Asian. Let me tell you, if you don't get that center gear on right, or the washer doesn't provide enough pressure from the dial - forget it. You have to strip the whole thing down.

Save the hassle - go full blown ETA, or save your money in a big way and go 21J

just to clarify- the 2836 has a correct hand stack but it's a modified GMT mo dual? Is that correct? I've got an Explorer II (BK noob), but I want to swap out the movement for the correct hand stack.

No, incorrect hand stack. There is a correct hand stack version though very unreliable and afaik not currently availlable.

Regarding whats best, swiss or asian 2836. Save yourselve a buck or two and the risc of paying for swiss and recieving asian.