When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's wrong with my 5513 movement?

EMM

Got a 5513 with an ETA 2836 inside. It's obvious that the movement was originally set up for a watch with a date, as the stem has two stops (I don't know - maybe all 2836's are like that). Anyway, most of the time when I pull the stem out to set the time, the crown will just turn - hands do not move. About every third or fourth time, it will "catch" and the hands will turn for about one rotation of the minute hand, then stop. Then I just push the crown back in and pull it out again over and over until it catches again. Repeat until time set.

Obviously, there's a problem here. Is it the keyless works? I've had them malfunction before, but usually the time just won't set - never had this intermittent type of issue. Or does it have something to do with the date stop - maybe sometimes the stem doesn't want to go past the first stop, and I can't tell because there's no date to set.

Thanks.

is this an MBW 5513? if so that is a common problem with that model.

Wait. I just got an MBW 5513 from iRolexU. Like he said it had this problem. In the listing he said it was a problem with the stem.

So the solution to this is to replace the crown? (But it's gen...augh.)

Ahhhhhhh if you has said that in the first post,

your hacking lever has come out of its position and not letting the sliding pinion move correctly therefor not letting the setting gears contace correctly to set the time, you need to remove the auto winding bridge then the spring barrel bridge and refit the hacking lever or replace it if it is damaged, then you should be fine, you can do it with the movement in the case.

There are numerous illustrated guides in the Watchmaking forum, but this is the basic procedure -

1. Pull the stem out to the time-setting position
  2. Remove the caseback
  3. Remove the 2 bridles/tabs with screws along the perimeter that fix the movement in the case
  4. Press the stem release button near the stem (press only enough to release the stem - too hard & you may disengage the keyless works, so the stem will not lock back in)
  5. Place some lint-free paper in the palm of your hand (to keep from touching the movement with your skin), turn the case over & gently allow the movement to slide out
  6. Slide a small sheet of plastic or thin cardboard between the hour hand (or bottom hand on the stack) & the dial to protect the dial
  7. Assuming you do not have a hand-puller, take a pair of small flat-head jewelers screwdrivers (make sure the tips are both clean & in good shape) & insert them between the second hand & minute hand from opposite sides, 180 degrees apart from each other (east & west).
  8. Gently rotate each screwdrive in an opposite direction until the second hand slides off the stack & carefully remove it.
  9. Repeat for the minute & hour hands.
  10. Loosen the 2 screws on the side of the pillar (main) plate of the movement to release the dial feet & you can then either lift the dial off or gently slide a small, flat-head screwdriver between the bottom of the dial & top of pillar to lift the dial off.

Good luck.

Sorry but I was talking out of my arse. You need to remove the auto wind bridge and spring barrel bridge to to it but you can do it from the back.

Sorry I have been working on 2892 the past week and got confused

Took the rotor bridge and then the barrel bridge out and the hacking lever was clearly out of position. I think I put it back in the right place and it doesn't look damaged, but I still can't get the time to set when I pull the crown. The crown is turning the castle wheel, but the hands do not move. I don't know enough about what else is supposed to happen here or I'm sure this would be easy to figure out.

Can I just remove the hacking lever to eliminate that possibility? Or will the keyless not work right if it's gone?

I have a MBW 5513 and it had the same problem, had the keyless reset and it worked for a few days. Seems the Chinese took some parts out when converting for the no date model. You need a double corrector wheel. Frie part# A/8229, 8 bucks, My was changed 1.5 years ago and no further problems.

I'm thinking Gabus is right. I repaired the keyless. Problem was this (from the tutorial):

100_2683.JPG

Now it works most of the time, but kind of pops its way out of setting mode. And it no longer winds via the stem. That's no big deal, though.

This was very useful to me due to the colors. Thought I'd pass it on:

252897d1264882613-eta-woes-1st.jpg