When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1675 goes to the fat farm for a nip and tuck

cjjoyce1

Just finished up some work on a members 1675, one that started out life as the "1:I" cartel with the horrible. . .well everything as we all know. It first went to the pbdad spa who did some great work replacing the original dial with a yuki, reluming the hands to match, and installing a JMB date wheel overlay decal, new correct style case back and drilled out the lug holes.

The watch came to me for a dial swap again. This time to a gen late 70's service dial marked tritium but with luminova which doesn't glow either. I re-did the hands to match too. The member asked me if I could do something about the case, so using my gen for comparison, I tried my hand. The 1655 would have been a better starting point, but here goes.

Original shape of the guards from the back

Bigjule011.jpg

Work in progress

Bigjule007.jpg

Side view of the guards (note this is not the members case, but another I had. I forgot to snap a pic before I started, but this is the same cartel case.)

Bigjule012.jpg

Checking the work again - crown for reference

Bigjule006.jpg

The difference between the gen and the cartel becomes very apparent in side by side. The 6mm vs. 5.3mm crown really makes a difference in the thickness in the top of the lugs

Bigjule002.jpg

But overall, not too bad considering the starting point.

Bigjule001.jpg

Buttoned up and ready to be sent back to papa

Bigjule009.jpg

Thanks for looking!~

Edited by cjjoyce1

im still looking for a solution to put an gen ( i mean 1675) size crown in that case without glueing the tube in -

any ideas ?

cheers,

Frank

Actually - kind of. One of the first reps I had/have was a TT sub that had lug holes in the case and a short, DJ style crown (tube was too). The tube stripped on it, but it was the same kind with the tiny drilled case. A gen crown would screw on it though and the inside of the tube was big enough for the crown. I test fit it in this case and it worked. The tube was just too stripped to firmly screw down the crown.

Long story short - if you've got some old junk reps still in your drawer check over what you've got. You may find a happy surprise in there.

(BTW, this same old sub of mine's caseback is now living on this guys watch.)

Bigjule008.jpg

Edited by cjjoyce1

this is really making reconsider my 1680. i think i will be switching over to the 1675 soon

@bigjule: why is your cyclops so off center?

. I have a nice 1680 and I prefer the 1675. Has color. Subs are nice but a lil blan. I just put the gen xstal on. That just my opinion Ure rite I need to slide it back a bit. Thanks