When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is a gen 3135 sub project worth it?

irolexu

Possibly considering building a Sean case sub with genuine 3135 (got one lying around). Just curious to know what's all in it. I would probably scrap my super Franken sub for all of its gen parts or make a 16613 but not sure if it's all that cost affective? If I don't make the watch then I'll post the movement or it's donor here on rwg at a very special rwg price (public will have to pay more :)) let me know!

IMO, if you're doing the build for "fun" so to speak, then the amount of money you put into it doesn't really matter. But.....If you are building this watch with the intention of re-selling it then NO it's not a wise build. The amount you'll spend will be almost ridiculous, but if it's for you personally then I say go ahead. It would be a one of kind special build that you can wear with pride. Just don't expect to get more than half of the money back if you decide to sell it!

I'm doing the same thing, sort of. I'm a Sea Dweller FREAK and I've already spend close to $2k getting complete watches, parts watches, and gen parts. I'm not even close to being finished and I'm already into it that much. I started out keeping track of each watch or part I bought and how much I spent for each one. I quickly tore that list up and now I DO NOT keep track of my expenditures for these builds because I know it would drive me crazy to see how much money I've blown....

Personally I don't think it's worth it for a 16610, just barely for a 16613. The Sean case is killer but it's not good enough for a gen movement IMHO. I have around $2k invested in my Sean case super-franken (gen dial, hands, crystal, crown, insert) powered by an SA3135. I dreamed of having one with a gen 3135 inside but I couldn't find one for less then $2k so for an extra grand I could have a minty M-serial gen on my wrist. If you already have the 3135 and the gen parts then it's not so bad, especially if you're doing a two-tone. Those seem to have much higher resale values then the steel models so who knows!

PM me about your 3135, I'd like to know more!

I think that duke1973 put it very well. I recently had a wm9 v2 sub with genuine crystal, crown, bezel, insert, and bracelet that I loved. I started looking at it and the date wheel and dial started to bother me. I pulled off most of the genuine parts to use on a new franken. I also decided to try a couple of cases that would take a genuine movement. I was able to find a dial and hands at a reasonable price and only needed a movement. I could have gone the SA3135 route and save a good bit of money, but I knew in the end it would eventually have a genuine 3135 in it. Now....I could probably buy a genuine sub with the money I have spent, but the parts purchases have been spread out over at least a year. I have enjoyed the hunt and the process of putting it together myself. Plus I like to keep my watches looking new and would not have been able to find a new or NOS sub at that price. In the end, I don't think there is a hard fast rule. You just have to ask yourself if it is worth it. For me....if I am planning on ever selling it I wouldn't invest the funds. I plan on keeping this one forever though :)

I think that duke1973 put it very well. I recently had a wm9 v2 sub with genuine crystal, crown, bezel, insert, and bracelet that I loved. I started looking at it and the date wheel and dial started to bother me. I pulled off most of the genuine parts to use on a new franken. I also decided to try a couple of cases that would take a genuine movement. I was able to find a dial and hands at a reasonable price and only needed a movement. I could have gone the SA3135 route and save a good bit of money, but I knew in the end it would eventually have a genuine 3135 in it. Now....I could probably buy a genuine sub with the money I have spent, but the parts purchases have been spread out over at least a year. I have enjoyed the hunt and the process of putting it together myself. Plus I like to keep my watches looking new and would not have been able to find a new or NOS sub at that price. In the end, I don't think there is a hard fast rule. You just have to ask yourself if it is worth it. For me....if I am planning on ever selling it I wouldn't invest the funds. I plan on keeping this one forever though :)

Interesting thanks for the advice! I am not sure what I am going to do with the watch I have that has the 3135. Honestly I had the idea of removing the 3135 and making a super franken two tone datejust that would have ALL GEN parts minus ETA and hands :)

I was dead set on building a sean case watch with a 3135 until I built one with an SA3135 and lined it up next to my Noob sub for a photo shoot. There really wasn't THAT much difference between them and for the additional cost of a 3135 I could be buying a gen. Sure, my parts cost was spread out but isn't that what credit cards are for...? :-)