When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial text remouval - need help

gorouk

Hi all,

for a special project I'd like to make a custom dial. The watch is a Pam homage, with a GMT fonction.

Here is the dial:

mmdial.png

I'd like to replace the "MARINA MILITARE" by a logo (or maybe some other writings)

Do you know how I can remove only this part without damage to the dial?

Many thanks

Acetone is not selective, it will remove everything...don't use it near the dial unless you want a brass plate with no markings.

The only way is with a 4X loupe and a small scraper, you scrape each and every letter off carefully trying to only remove the white lettering paint and not the base paint.

I have re lettered dials from "L Swiss L" to "T Swiss T", it takes a lot of time and patience. You would probably have to touch up the dial after removal as well as clear matter coate it to blend it all in after your done...

I have recently heard of another redialing process.

First the existing dial is photographed.

This is done with a camera in a jig, so it is perfectly square, and the correct distance to take a 1:1 photo.

Then any "attached" markers/logo are removed.

The dial is either just repainted over whatever colour is wanted, or cleaned off and repainted.

The photo taken is photo shopped to remove unwanted marks, touch up any print, or in this case, remove the unwanted print.

The photo shopped dial is then reprinted on to a clear adhesive film, (matte/glossy??) which is cut to size, and attached to the original dial.

The markers/logos are re attached.

I guess in this case there is still the question of lume, and I don't have an answer for that.

i guess the tricky bits are setting the camera to get a 1:1 image, and finding the correct adhesive film for the new dial print.

And of course having the photoshop skills to redo the dial perfectly.

It certainly removes the "artisan" quality levels required with hand redialling, and I'm told it is relatively simple and cheap.

In a country with a low labour cost, I was recently quoted U$15.00 per dial with a minimum quantity of 10. Have seen , and received examples of the work, and it is VERY acceptable, IMO.

Offshore.

Thanks all for your answers, very useful.

I'm not very good at precision job, but I think I'm gonna test the toothpick technics.

If I fail on the first, no big deal, I have 2 dials :D

Phot/print technics seems very interesting, I may try that if I fail my first try :)