When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long does your standard Rep factory lume last?

Smab

Good evening here from Scandinavia. We are still in the darker time of year, but sun shines longer each day now, and after april starts, day will be longer than night (12 hours +), reaching a peak here where I am, in mid-summer, when sun sets at 11:30pm and rises at 3:00 am.

But, in this dark time of year, the lume on our watches, are somewhat interesting.

I have now aquired about 12-15 reps, and out of those, a few has a really remarkable lume, considered not beeing superluminova models.

So I am interested to know about all of your knowledge and experience, if you charge the lume in the evening, perhaps 1 minute under the bedside lamp, how long does it stay glowing within terms of still beeing visible and time beeing possible to tell, without turning the light on, and the curtains are still closed?

My best experience is with the V6 DSSD with Selita movement (movent is either Asia superclone, or ETA, or Selita in this case), lume is the same on all of these variations I guess. Only difference is the engine.

My DSSD has a blue evenly glow, on the pearl it gets a little dim after a short while, but the hour markers and hands stay lit within reasonable force to be visible until I get up in the morning. We are talking 7-8 hours, and it is still dark in the bedroom when I get up at this time of year. I must say, I have not seen this on any other model I own.

The SFSO superrep has good lume, so has the PAM162, but they do not stay lit for so long. Even the old PAM225 Slytech has one of the best lumes I have seen for this older models without superluminova. But they are not clearly visible in the morning.

How long is your GENS lume visible, if some of you have one or more?

I have heard many speak of even GEN lume does rarely last all night. Many is very strong a short while but dims out after 10-15 minutes.

Happy weekend, and to all you Scandinavians, we shall soon see a lighter season, and need not mind the lume, good or bad, for a few months!

Typical rep lume lasts about 20 seconds!! Ha Ha No I'm kidding, the reps I have are decent lasting a couple of hours tops. The newer superlumed models I have (Sea Dweller) is really really good much better than the DSSD I used to have! It will last all night easily. It's not as bright as my gens after 6-8hrs but I can still read the time with dark adapted eyes.

My gens, Deep Blue, Omega PO, Seiko, Citizen, etc. are all much better but they have superluminova or Lumibrite (Seiko)

• 4 months later...

I never had a rep with decent lume. I always sent the ones that I planned to keep up to The Zigmeister for a movement service and a lume with the appropriate lume.

AFA my genuine watches, the lume varies. I have two Seiko Tunas, they both have great lume, glow like a torch, and are readable after 7-8 hours. Genuine Rolex 16610 also has great lume about the same as the Seikos. Genuine Ocean 7 LM-7 Ploplof - Great lume, with good readibility after 6-7 hourds, on the other hand my LM-5 GMT has much better lume on the hands than the dial or bezel. Two MKII Kingstons, one with C3 the other with BWG9, very good with long staying power, 7-8 hours.So while the genuine watches have much better lume than the older reps, they do have a great deal of variability between brands and different models.