When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In need of Mod help

gmtlover

Hi,

I have a BK DSSD see below,

post-41219-0-25952400-1331326776.jpg

And I want to change the dial with trevors one because of the bigger hour markers.

post-41219-0-55894600-1331326931.jpg

What do I need to change them, where to get the tools and then How to do it?

I am pretty handy myself as I earn a living with having a company in iphone/ipad/mac repairs, so how hard is this change?

thanks for the help guys!

To be on the safe side and have something for the future:

- a watchmakers loupe

- a watchmakers screwdriver set

- a hands lifter tool

- a hands setting tool

- a RLX case opener

To work comfortable:

- a movement holder

- a watchmakers pincette

Dee

To be on the safe side and have something for the future:

- a watchmakers loupe

- a watchmakers screwdriver set

- a hands lifter tool

- a hands setting tool

- a RLX case opener

To work comfortable:

- a movement holder

- a watchmakers pincette

Dee

Thnx!

And do you know how to?

For the tools, check out Offshore's Watchbitz Tools. He also has the special case opener you need for the DSSD. It takes a slightly larger die than the standard rolex case set opener. That would be the first thing, and a good set of screw drivers. Once you get that together, take the case back off and have a look inside. I'd start with that and then repost a thread asking for help. Without those tools, you are kind of dead in the water.

Ease? Moderate

It's pretty straight forward, BUT it's also easy to mess things up if you're not careful. There can be tricky elements for first time out, like resetting the hands not only so they are right ( like showing 6 o'clock EXACTLY - not 6:01) but also getting the date change at midnight. Another common mishap is messing up the keyless.

You can easily mar your dial and/or hands if you aren't careful or have the right tools.

The only screwdriver required is a yellow ended 80 for the movement holder screws. You also need a tweezers, something to remove the hands, something to protect the dial, gloves or finger cots so you don't get oils or finger prints on everything, a loupe is helpful, and something to re-set the hands. A dust blower and rodico putty are very helpful too. And patience. Alcohol may seem practical, but only after you are done.

There are several tutorials on the forums for how to go about this properly but in a nutshell you will need to:

Remove the caseback

Remove the movement holder screws and holders

Undo the crown and remove the crown and stem

remove the movement et al

Remove the hands

Remove the dial

Reverse the process

That's very simplified. Very. But it's not far from the truth. The key is to go slow.

I - for one - have never used a traditional hand remover, pry bar or presto. I took the small tweezer from a swiss army knife and bent the blades at 90 degrees to one another, then filed them sharp and thin. This way nothing ever touches the dial. But I also protect the dial with a bergeron protector so when I grab the hour hand I don't hurt the dial. I also use a piece of plastic wrap over the hands to protect them as I grab them. This also has the added benefit of preventing hands from going zinging off into oblivion if you really have to pull and they suddenly release.

Folks have used everything from proper hand setting tools, to the ink tube from a bic pen, to coffee stir straws to reset the hands.

As with any job, you can mickey mouse your way through, but proper tools will not only make the job go more smoothly, but will reduce the chance of harming other things or yourself.

I also will set the hour hand at the midnight flip but then will advance the time to 6am and the precisely set the minute hand. Others will set the minute hand directly on top of the hour hand at midnight. Your mileage may vary.

I also recheck everything during the re-assembly process as nothing is more frustrating than getting the watch buttoned up to discover the date change is messed up or something.

Ease? Moderate

It's pretty straight forward, BUT it's also easy to mess things up if you're not careful. There can be tricky elements for first time out, like resetting the hands not only so they are right ( like showing 6 o'clock EXACTLY - not 6:01) but also getting the date change at midnight. Another common mishap is messing up the keyless.

You can easily mar your dial and/or hands if you aren't careful or have the right tools.

The only screwdriver required is a yellow ended 80 for the movement holder screws. You also need a tweezers, something to remove the hands, something to protect the dial, gloves or finger cots so you don't get oils or finger prints on everything, a loupe is helpful, and something to re-set the hands. A dust blower and rodico putty are very helpful too. And patience. Alcohol may seem practical, but only after you are done.

There are several tutorials on the forums for how to go about this properly but in a nutshell you will need to:

Remove the caseback

Remove the movement holder screws and holders

Undo the crown and remove the crown and stem

remove the movement et al

Remove the hands

Remove the dial

Reverse the process

That's very simplified. Very. But it's not far from the truth. The key is to go slow.

I - for one - have never used a traditional hand remover, pry bar or presto. I took the small tweezer from a swiss army knife and bent the blades at 90 degrees to one another, then filed them sharp and thin. This way nothing ever touches the dial. But I also protect the dial with a bergeron protector so when I grab the hour hand I don't hurt the dial. I also use a piece of plastic wrap over the hands to protect them as I grab them. This also has the added benefit of preventing hands from going zinging off into oblivion if you really have to pull and they suddenly release.

Folks have used everything from proper hand setting tools, to the ink tube from a bic pen, to coffee stir straws to reset the hands.

As with any job, you can mickey mouse your way through, but proper tools will not only make the job go more smoothly, but will reduce the chance of harming other things or yourself.

I also will set the hour hand at the midnight flip but then will advance the time to 6am and the precisely set the minute hand. Others will set the minute hand directly on top of the hour hand at midnight. Your mileage may vary.

I also recheck everything during the re-assembly process as nothing is more frustrating than getting the watch buttoned up to discover the date change is messed up or something.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, I will first start and buy the tools.

It seems pretty straight forward, I have some very cheap reps ( bought on the beach in Spain) and will practice on one to get myself comfortable doing it.

Once I have the tools I will post a new topic to show my progress and ask for help, which I hope I don't need ofcourse..;-)

maybe a video somewhere? always helpfull to see someone do it.

Since you adept at working on small electronics, I feel you should be able to do this. Take your time and protect the dial and hands from tool marks!!!

The DSSD uses a single-purpose caseback die (opener) .. you can't use a generic Rolex die to open it.

While you have it open, check the gaskets for lubricant altho if this really is a BK DSSD, they should be perfect.

Be mindful of where you leave fat greasy fingerprints ... and by that I mean DO NOT leave greasy fingerprints ;)

Since you adept at working on small electronics, I feel you should be able to do this. Take your time and protect the dial and hands from tool marks!!!

The DSSD uses a single-purpose caseback die (opener) .. you can't use a generic Rolex die to open it.

While you have it open, check the gaskets for lubricant altho if this really is a BK DSSD, they should be perfect.

Be mindful of where you leave fat greasy fingerprints ... and by that I mean DO NOT leave greasy fingerprints ;)

It really is a BK DSSD. I will watch my fingerprints ;-)

Thanks for the great advice

I've not used that supplier but he looks serious and he sells the die and handle for opening the DSSD seperately. If you are only working on subs/gmt and above you only need the 29,5 + 36,5 mm dies so you don't need the whole boxed set

It still may be cheaper for that to go to watcgbitz - if you register and tell them your forum name they will set up up with a discount..

Its diificult with Chines tools to know the quality hence taking care over the screwdrivers, case opener etc.

I think you can get a single screwdriver at Cousinsuk.

My tip is if getting a set of screwdrivers get one in a case if you do not have a permenet bench.

Watchbitz is the forum's dedicated tool vendor. He only sells top quality Chinese tools and offers a good discount to forum members. He sells a comprehensive tool kit which has everything you need to take apart a watch and put it back together.

He sells a die and handle set for the dssd as well.

Thnx guys!

I have a large selection of screwdrivers because of my repairs for iPhones of very good quality so that won't be the problem.

I need

- caseopener

- movementholder ( what size?)

- tweezers ( have them already)

- handsremoval tool ( seeing some different models, don't know which one to choose??)

- a tool to put the hands back on.

- dial protector

- fingerprotectors.

That's it right?

You need this case opener from your supplier or watchbitz

Semiprofessional case opener 36,5 mm for Rolex

Theres a detialed threas on another forum that the hand levers are best for remving hands as the presto tool is a bit vicious and can break the stem

2 lever for watch hande, finely