When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Montbrillant Datora, going... going... gone? Photo review

madmex

So it seems this model is apparently no longer produced. I am a big fan of the triple calendar watches as well as pilot watches (this is my first one).

It has the 21,600 vph version of the A-7750 with moon phase mechanism (A-7751). I can say the movement is very clean (I took a peek) Impeccable.

Does anyone know if it ever had the 28,800 vph movement?

There are a couple of dial variants of this model. One is more white and one is more gray. I think I got lucky because this one is very similar to the gen. I think Breitling calls it "mercury silver." (Hmmm reminds me of those toxic tooth fillings). It is a very white silver when viewed from the top, but more gray when viewed from the side. Cool effect!

The dial markings are very well done, the hands are great too. The slide rule makes me worry about the water resistance--Are they splash proof? how do these reps seal the sliderule vs the gen?

The bracelet is a bit sticky, and oh boy--was a handful to size! The clasp is stamped and the metal isn't as thick as I would hope, but it's nice and shiny. Any tips on modding or perfecting the bracelet feel? Are there many qualities available? Mine doesn't have any markings on the bracelet links (only the clasp). The look of the bracelet is good, but the feel just doesn't exude the OMG quality.

How nice are the straps?

a4a164e9.jpg

a88144b6.jpg

cf4dee80.jpg

Here it is with the Omega blood sibling (although this Speedmaster is the 28,800 vph version) which in my opinion is one of the best reps I've ever held.

263a7aa3.jpg

ad584421.jpg

04faf2f9.jpg

2723cc3b.jpg

7924eeac.jpg

d43a25cc.jpg

Thanks for browsing!

• 2 weeks later...

I got this one from PureTime. I had been asking many dealers to find one and after placing the order Mary found one with a strap but I wanted bracelet version. Silix found a black one at a very attractive price but I wanted white. Others just said it wasn't available anymore. So hopefully if anyone is looking they can get lucky and find it.

Stunning....the complexities are just a mgnet to the eye. Regretting selling my white one...this was before I acquired some ETA 7750.

To your question about a high beat movement, it did not come with. However, not sure if an ETA 7750 swap would work with using some of the parts from A7750. If this can be done then you've got a solid Datora for years to come. Wear it well.

From seeing a gen one of these i would say the bracelet is indeed a weak link for the rep and of course the easiest tell on most Breitling reps the missing double AR coating. It amazes me how the designers of the Breitling reps are not putting the high quality double AR coating on all of the Breitlings. They could make a great Benltey rep if they added the Double Ar coating.

I could be wrong but I think you would need an ETA 7751 so swap in wouldn't you?

Yup, you would need a 7751 plus new hands. These hands are excellent but probably would not fit the ETA.

My Speedmaster Day-Date is 28,800 and has a similar function as the 7751 but looks physically different. I had to take pictures of it in order to reassemble it.

REP:

28713449.jpg

cd6d8e6f.jpg

GEN:

topmoonsm.jpg

REP:

4f6307cc.jpg

430ba691.jpg

Tell you what, I really admire the creativeness in these movement designers. Btw I am not sure if this slow beat 21,600 looks the same way. The pics are from the Omega 28,800vph

The bracelet isn't so bad after all. I just polished the clasp and lubricated the links and massaged them and it almost just falls like a cascade of metal links.

As far as the strap I most definitely will, but probably later in the year when it cools down again. For now, I really like the look of the bracelet too. Thanks for the eye-candy! I drool when I see, or should I say don't see your crystal, wimpie007--nice AR.

I am in CONUS and I wonder if anyone does a good job here at a decent price without having to wait for "runs?"

Also as far as this and the other slide rule Breitlings--how do they water proof them? It seems like a huge vulnerable spot. 50m dash in the rain?