When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question For Dw Club Members

kingkitesurf

So it finally arrived... the second shipment after the first was confiscated. The only deal I could make with David was to send the watch without a movement. I will fit the Swiss VJ23 in from my Roamer. This is the VJ23 version with the mysterie movement but which version is it? As I understand he has different versions....

It has 571 endlinks but does anybody have this serialnumber?

143430-16318.jpg

143430-16319.jpg

I had about 50 with that serial number :lol: That number was used on all of the DW cases, from (at least) Feb of 2006 until Sep.

The number was used on both VJ23 and VJ72 cases. (You can tell the difference by looking at the side of the case: on a VJ72 case, the pushers and crown will all be in a straight line).

I don't recognize the position of the feet on that dial. It might be for the VJ23 copy movement, or it could be one of the VJ72 dials, with the incorrect feet.

I can't really tell from the picture, but it looks like you might have a 300 units/hr bezel, which would not be correct on the Oyster case.

I see a solid link band, with the not-quite-correct 571 end links. They can be made to fit, akwardly, with some thin spring bars.

Randy,

Thats why I asked... I dunno the differences between VJ72 cases and the VJ23... I just would like to know how correct this one is. The 300 unit bezel issue Avitt mentions is interesting... So who knows the versions, release times and how accurate they are... It sure is a beauty.

Further I would like to know how the crystal is fitted to the case... There is no press on ring like the 1665 MBW. Is the bezel supposed to press the crystal, because this one is pretty loose... Should it be glued etc.????

Interesting...

My s/n is stamped 2952471

I'll have to check and see what my first and last post DW return cases had...

If you're going to be upgrading to the T21, you shouldn't need to glue the bezel down. The gen tropics are a bit bigger on the O.D. so you should be able to press the bezel on and leave it at that (I would advise against pressing the acrylic bezel on as the metal is quite thin and prone to warping/distroting under the pressure).

As for your bezel... Does it look like the one on the left?

143644-16235.jpg

If so, that's the bezel for the 6239/6241 (aka the dash bezel). The one you want for a 6263/5 (or any other Oyster signed models with Triplock crown and screwdown pushers) is the one on the right.

As far as I am aware, there is no rhyme or reason to the bezel combos DW puts with his cases... Other than perhaps what's available.

I went back and looked at pictures of my original Mystery Movement watches, and they used the 295 serial number. That means that I haven't seen the 640 number used on anything other than VJ72 cases.

If you can post up a side shot of your case (taken staight-on, looking at the crown), we can tell right away which case you have.

When DW came back in Feb, he was shipping these 640 case sets. That continued until early September, when he transitioned to a new S/N.

David simply ran out of 200 u/h bezels for a few months earlier this year, and used the 300 u/h bezles to fulfill any orders for steel bezels (including, unfortunately, the 6265s).

Guys,

I have the bezel on the right... it runs to 200... and he shipped 571 end links with it which I had to rub down fo a shine first... No solid end links... the bracelet is rather thin (like the rivited one) but it has really great smoothed polished sides. So that is good news. The mystery movement will be shipped shortly... Since I ordered the black bezel he made a mistake and will send the black one with the movement... I will see which one I will use in the end... I will try to take a shot from the side tommorow. The dial is really nice to. Old white...Newman...

• 5 months later...

I decided to pick up this project again and still would like some expertise on this case. Here is the sideshot... is this a vj72 case or is it the vj23 case. DW sold it to me as a vj23... given the Avitt post it appears like a vj72. Please advise. I have a vj23 donor but am in the process of purchasing a vj72 donor. Problem is that they are to nice to rip...

241611-9648.jpg

Guest avitt

kkt, that is a VJ72 case.

dtc, I tried exactly what you accomplished. But 2mm is an awful lot to remove, and I gave up. I think DW sent me about 12 pairs of these bad 571 links, and I scrapped them all.

Edited by avitt

kkt, that is a VJ72 case.

dtc, I tried exactly what you accomplished. But 2mm is an awful lot to remove, and I gave up. I think DW sent me about 12 pairs of these bad 571 links, and I scrapped them all.

Me too.

The only DW 571 links that work for me are the 1st generation ones from years ago (before DW & factory vanished for a long time).

Guest avitt
As avitt mentioned... V72. Crown is nice and inline with the pushers...

Happy to have you confirm that, Ubi, as kks is about to lay out a load of money for a VJ72...and I would have hated to be wrong :black_eye:

Edited by avitt