When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me choose - PAM 177 6497 or PAM 253 7750

speedracer604

Hi everyone, I have been looking into these watches for weeks researching about them mainly on this board (as a lurker). I've found some great information here but I am even more confused now as to what to get I didn't know the A7750 required so much money and work to keep it ticking + i'm rather nervous of it dying on me within 6months. Both are around the same price of $228 (for the 177) and $248 (for the 253)

http://www.timeshops.net/7531-pam177-luminor-marina-black-dial-titanium-ru-dark-tan-asian-6497-manual-wind.html

Asian 6497 Manual Wind 21600bph

http://www.timeshops.net/7583-pa6850-pam253-luminor-regatta-flyback-black-dial-ss-lt-asian-7750-28800bph.html

Asia Valjoux 7750 Automatic Working Chronograph (28,800 bph)

Which one would you pick? Thanks in advance.

I sold off my babied gen Tissot PRS200 for my dream watch (albeit a replica). I absolutely love the 253 but i dont have enough to get it cleaned and oiled right off the bat esp at a cost of another $200+. I dont mind the 177 but its a little plain for my liking but is this watch pretty close to the real 177?

The links you have posted are not of a trusted dealer on this forum, so I would recommend to stay away from them and use a trusted dealer. They are also lying about the crystal in the 253 being sapphire crystal. All versions of that model ever repped use synthetic crystal. So be aware it is more prone to scratches then sapphire crystal in 177, you'll have to be more careful with it.

253 looks way more sexy and expensive on a wrist then base Pam. In the end it is your personal preference what do you like. They are both nice although much different

Base movement in 177, even unserviced will be more reliable. Either way, you should save up and have it serviced no matter which one you buy. There is no way of saying how long either one will run unserviced, could be 6 months, could be few years. It's really a lottery with those things.

If this is your first rep I would start with 177.

Edited by lfovco

• 7 months later...

I sold off my babied gen Tissot PRS200 for my dream watch (albeit a replica). I absolutely love the 253 but i dont have enough to get it cleaned and oiled right off the bat esp at a cost of another $200+. I dont mind the 177 but its a little plain for my liking but is this watch pretty close to the real 177?

Sorry for asking you a newbie question. However, I am curious, does it really need to be cleaned and oiled right off the batch ?

Is it because of the automatic movement? Is it because the characteristic of 7750?

How and what will getting new watch sent to you cleaned and oiled gives you benefits ? Such as ?

How does cleaning and oiling new watch cost $200 ?

Can you help me explain in plain english, so I can also gain from your experience and knowledge ? :)

(I had two auto reps that fall behind in time for every "new usage" and it is getting up my nerves)

They are very different watches in terms of style look and feel .

I have 6497 running strong after 5 + years with No services. I have had some good and not so good A7750's just watch your date change adjustment. Look they are Two Hundred Buck watches of $5K watches , they might last ages they may not , you might want to buy new or find a rep friendly watchsmith . None of these should stop you getting a new watch should it?

Getting a chrono serviced might cost more than the cost of a new watch, I am all for keeping and fixing but you have that choice.

Finding an decent strap is much more of a requirement Rubber straps are a big dislike of mine.

TS is a pretty good dealer IMHO, not as quick as some but pretty reliable

Just Pick one