When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

General Q: newbie post

masou2

Hi all

I am relatively new to the forum. I've read the stickys, but some of the links are broken. I have made an attempt to utilising the forum search tool, but I'm not too savvy so hopefully someone will be able to assist!

I thought rather than flooding the forum with different new threads, I'd consolidate them into one post (hopefully that's not inappropriate)!

Here goes!

1. I have searched in the forums and have found a few mentioned in passing, but was just wondering if someone had made a list that was freely available. The stickys in the introductory thread don't appear to work anymore and it'd be good to exhaust all options before buying!

2. I've been browsing the Silix Prime website and noticed that they have an economy and first class layout. The watches seem to be very comparable except for the movement and the prices are almost half in the economy. I understand this would differ between the types of automatic movement, so I don't expect a concrete answer but, just generally, am I wasting money by purchasing an Asian movement watch (e.g. Asian 2IJ) and should I just invest that little bit extra for the ETA movement?

3. Is it taboo to have a replica watch serviced? If not, does anyone know anyone online who can service a rep rolex?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all the information on this website. You've definitely all saved me a lot of time and money from your incredible source of knowledge!

Just as there are trusted dealers, there are trusted watch technicians too. You can have any replica you own serviced by a professional right here.

A21j or china ETA or Swiss ETA ... The eternal question. How authentic do you want your watch to look upon close inspection? Balance that with how inexpensive do you want it to be to fix your movement if it breaks. a21j movements are $20. Swiss ETAs wind silky smooth and sweep even smoother.

Your first question didn't make sense to me. Did you accidentally edit out an important word or two?

welcome to the forum.

Thanks JKay.

First question was missing a sentence. Is there a list of trusted dealers that I can be linked to? The link the sticky doesn't work.

As for technicians, is there a list of trusted technicians who could service a Rolex Daytona? I think the winding mechanism is defective. After 2 or 3 hours, it either pauses until I shake it, or it loses time. I'm not sure if this is something that can be fixed, or whether I should just depart with me $120 and buy a new Daytona.

In relation to Swiss ETA v A21j v China ETA. Ideally, I want the watch to look authentic on the outside and be reliable enough to keep time. It doesn't bother me too much that someone will instantly know it's not genuine after opening it. But if the Chinese movements are known for having issues and breaking frequently, then I would be happy to spend a bit more for peace of mind.

A properly running a21j, china ETA or Swiss ETA should be serviced every 3 to 5 years to replace the oil as it dries up and turns to gum.

If you do that, the watch should last years and years. The a21j is a copy of the very solid Japanese Citizen Watch workhorse.

Crappy, questionable "mystery movements" that break like the wind don't (or should not) exist in the reps we buy here. They are relegated to watches you buy on the street from a guy with a suitcase.

To get to the trusted dealer list, just go out to the forum main page. The one with the chat box at the top. Scroll about halfway down. Easy.

There are four trusted techs in the USA and one in Canada. There are others throughout the world.

I recently bought an "economy" and a "high quality" rep from Silix. A big bang Hublot with the a21j movement (economy) and a Dior for the wife with a quartz movement and full ceramic bracelet. I also bought a couple of watches in the "specials" section. I am fairly new at this but I do own a gen Tag F1 and a gen Omega Seamaster so I have some frame of reference. The specials I bought were a rolex daytona and an omega seamaster chrono to use as daily replacements for the gens. I would steer clear of the "specials". They are not even worth the $30 I paid although I am not sure what I was expecting for $30. lol. I figured if they were really crap I would just toss them, which I did. The bracelets in particular were really cheap and the size and weight was nowhere near the gens.

As for the Hublot and Dior, I paid $72 for the hublot and $108 for the dior. The hublot is nice, good quality rep for the price and the dior is also really nice. The one thing I'd like to point out though is that the price doesn't only reflect the movement of the watch. The hublot has a mineral or synthetic crystal and not sapphire. Also there is no AR on it. The chrono is non functional and the bracelet clasp is a pain to get on and off. It also loses 2 minutes a day! But I was told that I can get that fixed although I would rather not have to. So the price will reflect the overall quality of the rep. In my opinion, best to drop an extra $100 and get something really nice which is what I will be doing. Looking at going with perfect clones next.

That's been my experience so far. Hope that helps.