When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Difference between DSSD "Ultimate" with genuine swiss movement and cheap Asian 21 jewel, other than movement?

mjnoles1

Is there any difference between the cheap Asia 2813-2 21J Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller and the much more expensive "ultimate" Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller other than the movement inside? Is there any other differences such as better detail, more like the real Rolex DSSD , weight is closer to the original? Or is the only difference the movement inside and thats it?

Edited by mjnoles1

Bump.....

The reason I am asking this is why would I spend $400-$450 on the time of the line Rolex Rep when everything else is the same except the movement? When the genuine swiss movement will not fool anyone that it is a genuine Rolex to begin with as Rolex makes their own movement and doesnt use Eta or Sellita like other watch companies. so, if it does get open up it is obvious its a rep.

If and only if everything else is the same except the movement why not get the cheaper version of the rep Rolex DSSD and spend the extra money on another company for example Breitling or Tag Heuer which will use the same movement in the genuine as the rep version.

Because a gen ETA is more reliable, could last decades, and if it breaks a watchmaker could fix it, while with an A21j you could only buy a new mov, and the chance is very high.

I doubt that the ETA inside Andrew's watch is gen, in any case I would go for the cheap asian mov and buy a new mov in case it breaks.

I wasnt referring to Andrew watches. I was referring to another seller. But, are you saying that you believe that the watches advertised as being genuine eta movements is likely not?

Also, I am fairly a newbie. I know the genuine 21 jewel myota Japanese movements are really reliable but your saying the Asian versions are not reliable?

Thanks.

Both movements, if serviced, are reliable. Highly doubtful the movement advertised as swiss is a true ETA.

The Miyota movements are just as good as a true ETA. the Asian movement have proved to be reliable, for the most part, but should be servied to insure longevity.

Keep in mind there are a number of factories who make Rolex reps, so it should easily be a totally different case set.

+1

Ask the dealer.

As to 21J movements there are a number out there. My own experiences have mostly been good.

The most negative one has been with a Milgauss where the seconds hand in certain positions jumps several seconds. It looks terrible.

The slower sweep of a 21J movement is an issue when very close. You will notice, but others not.

Otherwise the main complication I have encountered is setting time and date which can be a bit stiff.

Another Rolex 21J I have is a DDII which has a very nice sweep and no issues with date/time setting.