When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crystal Height

vlydog

I have been thinking about possible fitting a t-39 on my 1680.

Question:

would the 39 appear to sit higher on the 1680 than it appears on my 1665?

or

Does the bezel sit a little lower on the 1680 causing this possible effect?

Thank you!

Yep, very high compared to the 1665. Keep in mind that 1665 bezel if more or less double in heigh that the 1680 ones.

I suggest you install a tropic 19, 1680 and 5513 has the same case so the effect is the same on both watches. Take a look at my 1680 with a T-19:

1680_3.jpg

1680_1.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, very high compared to the 1665. Keep in mind that 1665 bezel if more or less double in heigh that the 1680 ones.

I suggest you install a tropic 19, 1680 and 5513 has the same case so the effect is the same on both watches. Take a look at my 1680 with a T-19:

Thanks for your reply and your photos.

Watch looks great.

I have one of each; 19 and 39

Still haven't decided which to use.

I wanted the "superdome" look for my Tudor Snowflake, whose case is reasonably identical to the 1680. The T19 I had wasn't domed enough... it was the service replacement dome. I had a fist full of gen Superdome T39s so I test fit it to my case. Like the man says, the bezel is much thinner than a SD so the crystal stuck up halfway to the moon.

Out came a 2x4 and some glued-on sandpaper, and I went to work. After 1/2 hour of trial and error and skinned knuckles, I had cut the side walls down maybe 2mm and it looks great. I'd like to cut it down another 1/3mm if I could but that's about all I can go before the dome of the crystal begins to sit on the rehaut and give a weird "lens" effect. Now it sits slightly higher above the insert than my 1665, and I'm happy as a clam at high tide.

Just back from 10 days diving in Hawaii, the dome is beat to hell from bashing it on the coral, and it never leaked a drop.

T19 service dome

snowflake_dome1.jpg

T39 Superdome cut down

snowflake_dome2.jpg

T39 Superdome from the front, pre-coralizing

snowflake_dome3.jpg