When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new/used 187g purchase q's. and woes.

c888

Excuse me if I'm posting the wrong forum, didn't know where to take this to.

I just recently purchased a 187g form a member on the forum.

Kinda a b-day gift to myself. This was was supposed to be a well serviced movement, with everything working. So the description said. I communicated with the seller and confirmed he did some great servicing on it to get it to some "chronometer" like standard.

"http://www.rwg.cc/to...rolex-explorer/"

When I got the watch, initial inspection looked ok, but...

When I got into my "man's cave" as my wife describes it.. I started examining closely. And found some issues.

First, the chrono reset button doesn't work. It does nothing, so cant reset the chrono hands. start/stop works fine.

The min and hour hands timing are off. Meaning can't get the min and hour hands to line up at 12:00. When the hour hand is vertical at 12, the min hand sits around 15min mark. Like this:

IMG_20120425_230820.jpg

When tried to line up at 11:00, the hour is off a little:

IMG_20120425_230920.jpg

There seems to be a small smudge mark on the dial above the word chrono and on the mins chrono subdial. The dial hands seem to be scratched up also. I'm not sure if these initial purchase qc issues or what, Do any of you other 187g owners had these dial issues?

My question is what would you guys do if the watch you got was not as described from the seller?

I tried to contact the seller by many txt's messages. He says everything was in working order when sent out. The pics he posted and pic i received never showed a properly reset chrono hands. Also you can see the hour/min hands were off on timing. He claims the chrono reset is an easy fix and tells me to go fix it. I asked if he would pay for that and seemed to agree. But what about the other issues? Communication has been vague after that.

Am I wrong to ask for a refund?

Are any of these issues an easy fix?

Should I just file a dispute with paypal?

Any suggestion on what step to take next would be much appreciated.

#1. Leave paypal out of this. We do not want undo attention drawn to our hobby.

#2. If your not getting anywhere with the seller, contact the mods here on the board.

Always contact the mods when you have this type of problem... before you make the problem public.

Having said that, you bought your watch from a member with 22 posts. We have a saying in the watch hobby "buy the seller, not the watch"

Contact a moderator here at rwg and explain your situation.

Hope it works out for you. Welcome to rwg :)

#1. Leave paypal out of this. We do not want undo attention drawn to our hobby.

#2. If your not getting anywhere with the seller, contact the mods here on the board.

Always contact the mods when you have this type of problem... before you make the problem public.

Having said that, you bought your watch from a member with 22 posts. We have a saying in the watch hobby "buy the seller, not the watch"

Contact a moderator here at rwg and explain your situation.

Hope it works out for you. Welcome to rwg :)

Thanks for the welcome.

Well I have the seller's # and have yet to hear back from him. Still awaiting an admin's response. I wasn't sure who to contact, Is there a specific mod I should contact?

To contact a moderator, you can reach out to any of these guys:

http://www.rwg.cc/in...tats&do=leaders

Sorry to hear of your experience. Based on the seller's comments, it would appear as though he did the work himself:

2nd) Panerai 187 NOOB. This was worn but in MINTY condition. I have put MUCH time and love into this one. Its had some lume work. Its had the movement ovberhauld an d parts replcaed in the movement. This 187 is a TRUE chronometer watch. Running Chronometer time in 4 positions. This is the newest 7753A but now a highbrid. Watch has no issues and I think this is one of the best REPS made. Pics show the proof of movement work. Asian chrono's do not come like that. I did the work but I assume it would be 400 just in work

2nd) Asking 485.00 (passed 10ATM or `100meters depth test) This watch is my FAV for sure. Hate to see it go but need to.

As such, I'd think that he would stand behind his work and correct these problems, some of which couldn't have occured in transit (i.e. hand alignment).