When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1601 with omega 2500c - need adapter ring help

EEngels

I need help.

I started this project by buying up parts, and now I need some help to get the last bits and finish.

I am building a milgauss dial and hands (6541 style) into a 1601 case from 1961.

I have the case, dial, hands (although I may need to get different hands - these may fit 1570 and I'm not using a 1570 any more due to budget)

I am trying to fit an Omega 2500C co-axial movement (based on ETA 2892, same dimensions I believe) into the space where the 1570 used to live.

I need an adapter and Stilty's PM inbox is full. Help.

The other help I need is to get the cyclops off the crystal (I bought a sapphire crystal with no cyclops, maybe I can use it?)

And to get change the fluted gold for a smooth steel bezel. I bought the bezel. I have a steel crown, stem and stem tube so I can get away from the gold crown as well. If I don't have to change tube, the happier I am.

I asked raffle times, but they aren't sure how to handle a 2892 based movement.

why are you using a coaxial omega movement when a 2846 worth less than a quarter of what the coaxis worth would be more acurate, you could sell the coaxial and have half the price of a 1570????

why are you using a coaxial omega movement when a 2846 worth less than a quarter of what the coaxis worth would be more acurate, you could sell the coaxial and have half the price of a 1570????

Hi Andy,

I could have done a lot of things.

I got the coaxial for $450. Between the cost of the case, dial, etc., if I spend too much more, I could have probably bought a used Air King. (with too small a case for what I'm trying for, I think.)

The Omega 2500c coaxial seems plenty accurate to me.

The Omega seems technically better than a 1570 in terms of service. Would I object if I could get a 1570 at the same price? No. At double the price? Yes - I'm essentially out of budget here.

I could have bought a 2824 or other ETA movement for less, but at that point there's a lot less difference between my project and buying a replica already assembled with an ETA in it.

Part of it is, I'm this deep in already on purchased parts, part of it is trying to do something unique and potentially technically superior (where superior is open to interpretation. You're placing the weight on accuracy, I'm placing it on the interesting quality of the Daniels escapement.)

Don't think I'm completely locked in my ways - I considered buying an eta ladies' movement off ebay (there was a montblanc meisterstuck I was bidding on - it closed at 130ish, but I was in an airplane and unable to bid when it closed. c'est la vie.)

As it is, if I had managed to purchase the ladies movement, I would be in exactly the same position I'm in today- I would still need the adapter ring.

Edited by vmarks

I'd suggest a wanted ad for an eta movement ring, then find someone with a small lathe to turn down the OD if required. The 2824 movt is essentially the same fitting as the 2892/2500. A 2836 is slightly deeper due to the day function parts.

I'm with FxrAndy though, that would have made a bloody nice Franken Omega

A) it still could - I could decide to get a 2892 and make use of the omega elsewhere. If someone has a suggestion for the case/dial hands for a franken-omega, I'll entertain it.

2) the seller I got the movement from has more. ask me, I'll pm you his email address.

Edited by vmarks

I'd suggest a wanted ad for an eta movement ring, then find someone with a small lathe to turn down the OD if required. The 2824 movt is essentially the same fitting as the 2892/2500. A 2836 is slightly deeper due to the day function parts.

I'm with FxrAndy though, that would have made a bloody nice Franken Omega

I am worried about the stem height difference between a 2824 and the 2892/2500. The fitting can't be the same, can it?

As far as I can tell the 2824 and 2892 are the same, but the 2836 is different due to the day wheel mechanism and has a spacer between the movt and dial. The caveat is that the 2824's sometimes have the 2836 spacer to make use of the same case.. it's never easy !!

The 2892 is thinner but the difference is behind the stem (auto rotor side)