When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona -what valjoux in which model? Who has the best Newman exotic dial?

danielv2000

I am gathering parts for a 6265 and 6239/6241. I have a v72 and a 726 inbound. I was planning to use the v72 in the non-screw down Daytona. Is this the most appropriate?

Also, what is the best source for a white Exotic Newman dial with the red outer minute track and matching hands?

Lastly, just posted a WTB for the non-screw down case set that can accommodate the valjoux movement.

Can you tell me why Ingod vs NDT? I've got a few gen coronets. I will post some pics to help me choose the best one.

You'll have to forgive me, as I don't look at the exotic dials that often. In fact, I don't think I'd ever taken a really good look at NDT's Newmans before.

On closer examination, I think the three-color NDT dial looks great. Serifs might be a bit overdone on the subdial numbers and on the 'DAYTONA' itself, but that's not a disqualifier. The minute track isn't sunken, but I think that's true of every aftermarket Newman dial. Otherwise, the coronet is well-defined (so you could forego a swap), and the print quality looks crisp. And crucially, it doesn't have the misshapen crosshairs in the 3 o'clock subdial like the InGod does. There's just the matter of it being 'Out of stock'...

V72 is correct for non-screw down models, V726 for screw down versions. V726 has the exact same beat rate as Rolex's V727 at 21600 vph, V72 is 18000 Vph if I'm not mistaken.

You are absolutely right my friend :-)

Excellent reading here about Valjoux 7xx : http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.fr/2005/12/valjoux-72-chrono-family-discussion.html

Short version : Valjoux + Breguet overcoil + MicroStella = Rolex movement