When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Idea: Replica Wiki

drury

Hi there guys,

I'd like to hear your opinion on this idea of mine:

I've been mingling around the forums for a few years now and I can honestly say, that I have amassed a fair amount of knowledge and understand the terminology. (most of it at least)

That didn't happen over night however, it literally took me months (!) of surfing around the place to understand the "slang" and terminology and get a basic understanding of the matter. Especially at the beginning I was hopelessly lost.

Now for those of us who don't have the time to spend are significantly handicapped among the rep community and as a result we've got never ending floods of the same questions about the simplest things.

This is not only contra productive, but also not very nice for the new chaps, who are often snapped at and pointed at the search function. (which is good, but not a very efficient way to learn about things)

Well, I thought, that's no good, so why not collect all the information in one place. No more tedious searching for old or lost threads. All the abbreviations and terminology in one large wiki, accesible to anyone. It would make browsing the forums easier for everyone. At lest that's what I think. I mean, everything else has a wiki, why not the replica world? (or have I missed something here?)

If everybody just wrote down what he knew, we'd have a massive collection of information to which to point.

So, what do you think? Would anybody be willing to contribute?

Or is this not a good idea?

Cheers, Tim

P.S.: I would gladly start by donating webspace and a domain for the project and we could start today!

I would say not a good idea.. I would prefer info to be restricted to the forums.

If people are interested, they can come here and learn, and not just easily access a wiki to search for anything they want easily.

We are at the darkside after all, and I would like us to be kept slightly hidden, including information.

I would say not a good idea.. I would prefer info to be restricted to the forums.

If people are interested, they can come here and learn, and not just easily access a wiki to search for anything they want easily.

We are at the darkside after all, and I would like us to be kept slightly hidden, including information.

I don't think that's really a valid point, as all of the forums are indexed (and cached) by the search engines.

Meaning the information is not hidden at all, anyone can find it.

For example: I posted a thread about a Tudor 7923 a while back. When searching for it on Google, RWG pops up as one of the first results and anyone can read about parts for a franken etc., even without being a member.

We had a Wiki a few years back and it died through lack of input and attention.

From memory the person who was to look after it never even posted in it.

Great idea, but requires maintenance.

O/S

I agree, maintenance is important, but I think it should be worth another try.

The community has changed (I suppose) from a few years back and I believe a lot of people here would be willing to contribute a little, to keep it going!

I don't think that's really a valid point, as all of the forums are indexed (and cached) by the search engines.

Meaning the information is not hidden at all, anyone can find it.

For example: I posted a thread about a Tudor 7923 a while back. When searching for it on Google, RWG pops up as one of the first results and anyone can read about parts for a franken etc., even without being a member.

I understand the forums are being cached by search engine, but only specific information will be found according to the keywords, further info desired will have to involve digging more into the forum, or through the search engine again.

Having a wiki that seems to say bluntly "see! these are all about reps! These are the tells/flaw! These are the TDs! These are the movement used!", may put us in more light than we prefer to.

I cant really express it well, but just dont think its a good idea. I however, understand your good intention for easy info searching for our fellow members :)

Just my 2cents

I understand the forums are being cached by search engine, but only specific information will be found according to the keywords, further info desired will have to involve digging more into the forum, or through the search engine again.

Having a wiki that seems to say bluntly "see! these are all about reps! These are the tells/flaw! These are the TDs! These are the movement used!", may put us in more light than we prefer to.

I cant really express it well, but just dont think its a good idea. I however, understand your good intention for easy info searching for our fellow members :)

Just my 2cents

Well, should it really proove itself problematic (which I still don't think), one could always password protect it and hand out the details to registered forum members!

I like the wiki idea, but it would have to be somewhat hidden in the forum. For example, while you can google all sorts of info and come across RWG, you can not see the info about the TD's without logging in. You would need a similar set up for this wiki, where people agree to a set of rules before getting to see the info, for the protection of the TD's.

There are threads that have a lot of this info pinned at the top of the forums, but many of the links in them are dead.

I like the wiki idea, but it would have to be somewhat hidden in the forum. For example, while you can google all sorts of info and come across RWG, you can not see the info about the TD's without logging in. You would need a similar set up for this wiki, where people agree to a set of rules before getting to see the info, for the protection of the TD's.

There are threads that have a lot of this info pinned at the top of the forums, but many of the links in them are dead.

Well, certain Wiki scripts have the ability to password protect certain articles.

Possibly one could allow "trusted" information to be seen only by registered users, who have agreed to these rules.

One could take it even further and make the registration link only visible from within the forums, meaning everyone can see information, but trusted details can only be seen by those who have visited the forums before.

Public information should be the list of scam dealers for example.