When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 111n Noob - First night wearing watch results in scratch on Crystal!

Leology

Just received the PAM 111n and the very first night I wear it out, at the end of the night, I noticed there was a scratch on the crystal. I’m so bummed. I thought I was pretty careful and did not hit the watch on anything. Bad luck I guess… =(

I took the watch in to a repair shop and they said it appears to be a crack in the crystal. When I rub my nail over it, I can feel a extremely slight indent. Have any of you guys done this to your watch before? I’m in communication with Angus at Puretime to see if I can order just a replacement crystal so hopefully he can deliver on that hope. The highs and lows of repping!

post-44211-0-62442100-1337013673.jpg

??? Sapphire is almost as hard as a diamond. it is almost impossible to scratch without using a diamond ring.

I have worn sapphire crystal watches in a light industrial working environment for three years and not one is scratched after banging on steel posts for years.

SO ... how did this happen. It seems impossible.

Oops i can understand how bad it feels, you might have banged the watch in some kind of glass i suppose as sapphire gets easily scratched by glass

glass can not scratch sapphire. you might say that donut can scratch steel too.

Are you sure you did not crack it into a painted surface and now PAINT is on your crystal?

No it's not paint, I took it into a watch repair store and they said it appears to be a scratch/crack. That's the strangest thing - I only went to dinner... nothing out of the ordinary. Unless my faince's engagement ring brushed against the crystal?

If it truly is a scratch and don't want to deal with shipping your watch somewhere you can find a thread here which shows you how to use diamond paste to take out the scratch. Although I would guess is it a crack. It is pretty tough to scratch a sapphire. Or it is a mineral crystal. :bangin:

Since we are talking about scratches and marks on our replicas, let me just mention here that if you ever see a "scratch" on your DLC or PVD coated watch, it is more than likely metal which rubbed onto your watch from the object you struck. Try licking your fingertip and rubbing it. These coatings are very hard, and normally marks on them are not scratches .. your watch scratched the metal post you banged into, and now a little metal has rubbed off onto your watch's body.

from that pic it does look like a crack... the sapphire is extremely hard to scratch but it can happen. I've never seen a scratch that deep before and with the dark section which is deep refraction of light I agree with the conclusion that it's a crack most likely resulting from a defect on the crystal forming process when the crystal was made... this is mad made sapphire so it can happen...