When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Hand Modification?

shadeone

I know that it is possible to go from bigger opening holes on hands to smaller using the tedious and painful task of laser welding or whatever, but I was wondering if I could go from hands that are drilled for 80/130/20 (rolex 1520 movement) and open up / bore them out to the DG2813 size of 100/150/17? I know the second hand is smaller, but I got the second hand for the 2813 covered already so ignore that....

I read something about return flanges or something, needed in order to keep the hand from rocking on the post. Can this be re-done in the newly opened up hand at all or is this whole idea just a lost cause?

Watchmakers use a staking tool to resize holes, not lasers.

You can open a hole or slightly reduce it's size as well with a staking arbor and the appropriately sized staking post.

As for your exact situation, I do not know. I just know how it's done, not how to do it ;)

these ones specifically:

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6960394/8865330.htm

there is a serious lack of good hands for the 2813 movement that closely resemble the actual 5517 milsub sword hands... the only ones really available that fit the movement outright are from rafflestime but the minute hand on those do not have the lume that forms an arrow shape near the tip of the hand:

a207915136df1a01de9e1f_m.JPG

Ok, is there anyone on the forums that does broaching? I found a different set of hands and it turns out I only need the hour hand enlarged from 90 to 100. The minute hand is fine and as mentioned earlier,I have a perfect second hand.

These ones:

http://helenarou.com/5513-6538-milsub-super-luminova-watch-hands-f5513653828242836.html

Another question about this broaching deal... When you enlarge the hole, does it create a new fl@nge (dont know why it censored that word) on the border of the hole with these tools? How do they work? They look like files of some sort to me... Thanks! :)

Edited by shadeone
  • Like 1