When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sources for Gen Parts?

Seacraft

Other than the usual suspects like here, Ebay, other rep sites, TRF and especially VRF - what are good sources to find gen rolex parts?

I will be hunting soon for a gen case (hard) and dial (which is not hard) and I'm hoping there are some other worthy places to check...

Best!

John

"I will be hunting soon for a gen case (hard) and dial (which is not hard) and I'm hoping there are some other worthy places to check..."

First off...please do not take this seriously, it's just another wacko Q&A session with myself... :prop:

You did not say if you need vintage or modern parts but if you need modern parts, maybe go with bklm1234 for a complete watch or TC etc for case/bracelet parts imho.

Q...Why?

A...The answer is obvious...most genuine parts are too expensive now to be worth the hassle, especially cases. If you are going to blow a few thousand on a Frankenstein, just go 100% genuine and be done with it imho.

The 16610 for instance...

Q...If you already have a 3135 movement, why not get a TC 16610 case/bracelet, genunie dial, insert, crown and go to town?

A-1...It is still a replica and never will be worth much.

2...'Everyone' wears a 16610, most of them probably replicas and no one cares.

3...You can not tell if there is an $1800 3135 or a $125 eta inside the watch.

4...You would still be trapped needing genuine parts/service when the movement goes south.

5...You will have a $3000 replica compared to an identical $1000 replica that very few can tell from genuine anyway.

Q...How about vintage?

A-1...Vintage models stand out from the crowd ('Three is a crowd'...and one will be wearing a 16610).

2...If you use an eta you will save a lot of $$ same as for a modern watch.

3...If you use a genuine 1520/70/75, it will always sell for a good price if you decide to dismantle the watch. You still have a parts/service problem though.

4...Vintage Frankensteins are a bit different because genuine movements are still 'affordable' and aft/mkt cases/dials are very good. Yuki etc cases and dials like IG44 etc will pass inspection except to a few dedicated rolexnuts so that's probably good enough.

Q...Why would I discourage a project using genuine parts?

A...Because this is a replica forum and imho the fun is in getting by with replica parts...and because I have been around genuine rolex watches a long time (since back when a new 1680 was around $350), so at today's prices I am no longer in the hunt.

Q...I discourage spending $$ on Frankenstein projects although I have a few, so what's up with that?

A...I already had genuine movements etc for low risk projects such as '5513' and '1680' but learned a valuable lesson when I ventured into the realm of the Frankenstein '1655' with Phong case etc and a genuine 1575 with all new genuine GMT parts. It has already cost me as much as the last '5513' and '1680' Frankenstein projects combined and is still unfinished.

Q...So, what's my answer to a super nice '5513' or '1680' now?

A...Go with a MBW/MBK or a 'replica' replica Polex 5513/1680 from a trusted source and Be Happy.

Q...Have I followed my own advice?

A...Yes. I have an MBW/MBK 1680 with eta 2846. :good:

My grandfather gave me a watch. It doesn't have any hands or numbers. He says

it's very accurate. I asked him what time it was. You can guess what he told

me. -- Steven Wright

Not crazy Q&A at all ;)

Just building something I want :clap2:

"I will be hunting soon for a gen case (hard) and dial (which is not hard) and I'm hoping there are some other worthy places to check..."

First off...please do not take this seriously, it's just another wacko Q&A session with myself... :prop:

My grandfather gave me a watch. It doesn't have any hands or numbers. He says

it's very accurate. I asked him what time it was. You can guess what he told

me. -- Steven Wright

Let me ask you a question. If you are in a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, does anything happen? - Steven Wright