When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO v Diver V3

Hello all.

Its time for me to choose my first AP and I am torn between a black themes ROO on a bracelet or perhaps the new diver.

Basically I like my watches as big as possible but also as accurate so is the diverse the same width and more importantly depth as the ROO?

Also I am of the impression that the diver is the more accurate rep so perhaps all you far more educated APeeps can help me out with trying to sort out which of these is the best available.

I have always wanted a ROO but if the diver is a better watch I'm prepared to be swayed.....

Thanks

Diver V3 is going to be more accurate. No chrono module /offset pusher issue and case will be the right thickness. The A7750 based movement requires a thicker case and caseback than the LWO 283 gen equivalent movement. If you really are indifferent between the automatic diver and the offshore chrono than it is a no brainer. Diver.

Thanks Meister. Much appreciated. Taking the pusher and thickness issue out of the equation how accurate are the two watches dials? I've heard the date is an issue opn the ROO. But I this better on the newer models?

Edited by DamonHorse

Diver is more accurateSome prefer a chrono watch though and the ap roo series are great reps as wellTo buy solely based on accuracy is foolishLook through the various models of the chrono series and if you like one much better than the diver get that 1Dials are great on allDate position is likely what you are thinking of which is a minor flaw that is not correctable on the Roos

Edited by rogerthat

Vote for the Diver. A simple dato-only movement will have your watch last for years. Overhaul of the movement is also easy.

ROO chrono is attractive and fancy, but with the modded A7750 sec@12, you can never predict when it will drop dead. Servicing it is almost impossible.

Bertie - you raise a very valid point! My swiss time only watches are pretty bullet-proof! I'm really so annoyingly torn between the form of the ROO and the function of the Diver and I am really getting no closer to making my mind up it seems!!! May be time to flip a coin! Ha

No wrong answer.

I have owned 5 variations of the AP ROO's seconds at 12 (Black Thames, White Thames, Black Rubberclad, RG Rubberclad and Ruben Barrichello) ; and since sold them all.

Have no AP's currently but just approved QC pics of the V3 diver yesterday so I will have one very soon.

My reason for getting another AP, I wanted a new summer watch to wear on the boat and similar occasions and the AP Diver seemed as good a choice as any.

As stated both the accuracy and also the reliability will be higher on the Diver.

The seconds at 12 movement may need a servicing so factor that in as a potential cost as well.

The ROO's offer a much wider selection, the added complications/busier dial due to the chrono features,and overall I think a fancier looking watch.

if you prefer leather straps and especially hornback crocs which AP is know for, stick to the Chronos.

Those type of straps can't get wet so they look silly on a diver.

If you prefer Rubber, then go with the Diver. I plan on getting mine wet and swimming with it, hopefully it will be waterproof or I will be upset.

They both wear roughly the same in terms of size and are great quality reps.

They both wear roughly the same in terms of size and are great quality reps.

Agree they are great quality but they definitely do not wear the same.

The available AP ROO chronos are 42mm and the Diver is 44mm AND flatter.

It wears unmistakably larger for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Inertia thanks for what is undoubtedly an informed opinion! I got a bit excited when Battler said the Diver was bigger as I love mine LARGE! BUt now you've questioned that so I'm back to the drawing board! Ha

Were you happy with your ROOs or is the fact that you sold yours an indication that they didn't steal your heart! The diver is looking increasingly good and I would go for the steel strap as I think the AP strap is about the best looking available.

I'd love to see some pics of your diver - who do you buy from?

Both you guys are misinformed.

As I stated they wear roughly the same, the Chrono is a little taller in height, the Diver does wear flatter but they are using the same case size other than height.

If they were not using the same case size how could the bracelet and same straps fit on both?

I will let a picture prove my point...

big difference???

IMG_6438.jpg

Edited by rogerthat

Roger - that Diver looks pretty sexy next to the ROO - it has really grown on me as a piece I have to admit. It is to my eyes a far better rep but I wanted a ROO so it's that age old question of go for the best watch or the one that you had your heart set on.

Or go for both of course........

I am assuming that picture is of your watches so which do you wear the most of the two as that's usually a good sign of which you prefer?

Roger - that Diver looks pretty sexy next to the ROO - it has really grown on me as a piece I have to admit. It is to my eyes a far better rep but I wanted a ROO so it's that age old question of go for the best watch or the one that you had your heart set on.

Or go for both of course........

I am assuming that picture is of your watches so which do you wear the most of the two as that's usually a good sign of which you prefer?

If that ROO is a rep I'd love to know from where... the dw spacing is spot on... - a gen - no?

A

The traditional Offshore and the Diver are the same 42mm. I have tried on both gens at the boutique. The only ones that are 44mm are the newer models with the clear caseback - Grand Prix, etc. And by the way in the real world the gen Diver is 13.8 vs. 14.3 for the ROO Chrono so it is a fairly de-minimus difference. It is just that the rep has to be closer to 17mm (or whatever it is) to fit the 7750 movement.

Here below is the thickness/height difference of the gens in pictures, as watchmeister states the gen difference is very small in height.

On the rep the ROO Chrono is a couple mm taller/thicker.

Chrono on the left, diver on the right

IMG_6434.jpg

Edited by rogerthat