When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To cut or drill...

fidhle007

I've decided a lughole daily beater must exist in my life but I'm torn as to how to achieve this. I still have a StarTime lughole case but the stubby crown guards and fat lugs bother me too much on that watch. I also have a Sean case but it's an M-serial and therefore has no holes. I figure it's time to send one of these cases to a modder with some case-shaping experience and the tools to do what I cannot, but I'm unsure which one to send. The Sean case would just need some holes drilled and the startime case would need some serious shaping. What would you guys do and who should I send this work to? I'm CONUS...

Thanks!

Brendan

ive done it successfully most recently, ive tried on noob cases several years ago and ruined them all, then i developed a procedure which worked 100%

it requires a real drill press, standing or table top will do, a drill press vise, a diamond burr bit for dremels with 1/8 shank, a 1.25mm drill bit with 1/8 shank and a custom case jig (i made one out of wood in 10minutes) figure out where you have to drill the hole, mark the spot with a sharpie, lock the case down in the jig/vise , line up the diamond bit, slowly press the diamond bit on to the marked surface of the case just making a slight dent in it -this will be the pilot crater for the 1.25mm drill bit, once you have a slight dimple lube up the 1.25mm bit, line it up with the diamond bit dimple, slowly press it down on to the pilot dimple, you will have to keep adding cutting oil and press very slowly or you will break the bit. i like to turn off the press while the bit is still through the hole instead of running it and letting it pull out, i find the hole is cleaner this way.

Be afraid.......be very afraid....

Gosh, Ive messed up so many watch parts in the hopes of learning the skills, but I can't even imagine a lughole job.

My hats off to you guys that do it. Jmb has done several for me and all came out great :)