When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is there a demand for a better qaulity of rep?

alwyn

Hello,

I have just bought a rather expensive gator strap for a gold plated rep watch,and I wondered how long the gold finish on the watch would last for such a strap,which brings me to the question...do you think there would be enough people prepared to pay say $500 for a better finish on their watches? Perhaps if there were manufactuors would respond favorably. Just a thought!

alwyn

Edited by alwyn

The quality and thickness of the plating will dictate how long it lasts. From what I've read in the past, it will eventually start to fade based on how often you wear it, whether you sweat when you wear it, etc. Some people go so far as to clean the gold after they wear it with soap and water.

And I would not spend anywhere near 500 bucks for a better finish.

Hello,

I have just bought a rather expensive gator strap for a gold plated rep watch,and I wondered how long the gold finish on the watch would last for such a strap,which brings me to the question...do you think there would be enough people prepared to pay say $500 for a better finish on their watches? Perhaps if there were manufactuors would respond favorably. Just a thought!

alwyn

Probably most ppl that buy reps watch wouldn't be ready to spend 500$ more on a rep ...they seek a sub in the 200$ range at max.

Around here btw the true afictionados & watch fanatic i am shure some would.

Let's say a true solid gold rolex, or nice calatrava with full real wite gold case ... if the repe is a 1:1 and only if it is, it could sell ...

Olso remeber gold is not that expensive (precious time expalin that very well in a thread around here).

It's like puting 500$ more for a 7753 pam over an asian 7750.

It's like puting 500$ more for a 7753 pam over an asian 7750.

:blink: $500 more for a 7753 in a PAM, instead of the Asian 7750 is worth it...

As to the earlier question of value, I think it depends on personal taste and how close you are trying to get to the original. I have a 5039 J rep that is near impossible to tell from the gen, so to spend an extra couple of hundred dollars for a better strap and a clean from Joe is worth it to me. I also have a PP fantasy which is not close at all to any PP gens I've seen, however it does have day-of-the-week, month, 24hr time, and moon-phase complications that all work automatically, so again, the extra investment in a better strap and a trip to Joe's is merited by the fact that it's an interesting watch.

But I wouldn't drop the cash on a crappy rep with frozen subdials, or one that is so inaccurately copied (like the TT blue sub) that it's impossible to get it close in the first place; unlike the PP fantasy (which most people will not be familiar with), the TT sub is immediately recognizable.

I think there is a group that would pay high dollars for the right rep. While I'm not a huge gold fan I would pay a premium for a correct solid 18k/rose gold dress watch. Now when it comes to movements I don't mind paying more for a nice movement or putting one in a rep if it isn't offered. Basically if I think the overall quality of the movement and materials is high then I will pay a high price.

Now that I have said that, somebody please make a 7753 PAM 187. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Gold is just too tough. Absent using the same color and karat gold (14 does not look like 18 and plate does not look like solid), the rep never looks like gen, On plate the gold wears away (and you live in fear of it). Also, the weight is just so far off. I stay away from gold for these reasons. In the SS realm there are plenty of reps approaching 10-15% of actual cost that are pretty damn good. With gold you would have to pay a far higher price since a solid gold case is a large proportion of the cost of the gen. Look at Fast Freddy's solid gold reps. :)

Gold is just too tough. Absent using the same color and karat gold (14 does not look like 18 and plate does not look like solid), the rep never looks like gen, On plate the gold wears away (and you live in fear of it). Also, the weight is just so far off. I stay away from gold for these reasons. In the SS realm there are plenty of reps approaching 10-15% of actual cost that are pretty damn good. With gold you would have to pay a far higher price since a solid gold case is a large proportion of the cost of the gen. Look at Fast Freddy's solid gold reps. :)

it's exacly what i'm saying, i would consider buying a real solid gold rep (with everything else at 1:1) for extra $$$, while i am certainly not considering a plated ....

Considering Fast Freddy's solid gold reps, were are talking of daytonas, so yes that a lot of gold .. but a PP calatrava on aligator strap would be an other story.

Hello,

alwyn

Read this thread. You will enjoy

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...view=getnewpost

I like the way TTK does it sometimes... $XXX or $XXX + $75 for ETA

Would definitely pay more for like 14k on TT Santos, etc

A $250 TT Santos with ETA and 14k piece seems like a no brainer to me vs a $120 TT Santos with cheap movement and gold plating

:blink: $500 more for a 7753 in a PAM, instead of the Asian 7750 is worth it...

The difference is more like $450, going by the prices I saw on the PAM196 (Asian 7750 version $250, estimates of the 7753 version were around the $700 mark, with slightly higher and slightly lower depending upon the dealer).

Personally, I feel solid gold is too much for a rep.

Kind of like putting $4000 worth of accessories on a $2000 car.

TuTone 14k however for an ETA accurate piece can add the right touch of class...

I agree, two tone looks much classier... with a couple of dealers selling solid gold in some of their rep two tone watches, it's definitely worth a look.

I find a full gold watch looks too gaudy for my tastes, and I'm in my 20s.

Maybe after 50 years service :whistling:

The difference is more like $450, going by the prices I saw on the PAM196 (Asian 7750 version $250, estimates of the 7753 version were around the $700 mark, with slightly higher and slightly lower depending upon the dealer).

:huh:

Yes Chronus, I know; I own a 7753 196.

My point (in reference to the comment I was responding to) was that even if it were $500.00, it would be worth it to have the 7753. Vlaletom seemed to be indicating that the extra money was not justified.

My point (in reference to the comment I was responding to) was that even if it were $500.00, it would be worth it to have the 7753. Vlaletom seemed to be indicating that the extra money was not justified.

Well I'm no pam pro,.. jumped on the train in mid transit without a ticket, but having owned a 7750 196

and now the least, expensive advertised 7753, I can honestly say that even beyond the genuine engine,

the aesthetics, which were beautiful on the previous version have been stepped up, so I personally don't

see a reason to pay more. ;)

This is an old, old, argument which oddly enough remains the exactly same even as the quality of our reps improves in leaps and bounds. I remember when people used to [censored] about the bridges and crowns on PAMs, dials on subs, etc. People used to say, "I'd gladly pay a couple bills more for a better 11, or a sub and I'd really pay big bucks for a Daylight." Others would say, "Me too." still others would say, nope, not gonna happen. A rep is a rep is a rep is a rep." Well the proof is that pudding, eh? Some reps are 2-3X times better than when I bought my first versions a few years ago, and there are at least a dozen reps i can think of that have been offewred with all the gold parts in solid 18k.

My suggestion: Expect reps of your favorite weatches to continue to improve in the months and years to come. And until then, remember: "A rep is a rep, and 99% of the people who see it on your whrist will believe 100% that it's real...as long as it's believable that you'd could and/or would be sporting a real one."

That being said, I sure hope they hurry up making decent reps of some of my favs...

Hopefully my 7753 based PAM196 is in transit :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think with something like the PAMs, they are different in that you can get an almost exact watch to the genuine, with the exact same movement. Most reps of the likes of R*l*x cannot, as no one has replicated the modern day R*l*x movement. Similarly with some genuines like the Zenith El Primero, Patek Phillipes etc.

With these ones they can look as accurate on the outside but not on the inside.

With the ETA Panerai reps, you are essentially getting the same watch (if the rep is any good), minus things like bridgework/engraving/decoration and water resistance and luminosity. Considering the price of the genuine watch, it's not a bad deal getting a PAM196 with ETA 7753 for $700 and then a re-lume job done, and possible water-resistance testing done/case-back tightening.

I would say these Panerai reps are much greater value-for-money in some ways than many other reps which superficially re-create the original watch.

Hopefully my 7753 based PAM196 is in transit :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think with something like the PAMs, they are different in that you can get an almost exact watch to the genuine, with the exact same movement. Most reps of the likes of R*l*x cannot, as no one has replicated the modern day R*l*x movement. Similarly with some genuines like the Zenith El Primero, Patek Phillipes etc.

With these ones they can look as accurate on the outside but not on the inside.

With the ETA Panerai reps, you are essentially getting the same watch (if the rep is any good), minus things like bridgework/engraving/decoration and water resistance and luminosity. Considering the price of the genuine watch, it's not a bad deal getting a PAM196 with ETA 7753 for $700 and then a re-lume job done, and possible water-resistance testing done/case-back tightening.

I would say these Panerai reps are much greater value-for-money in some ways than many other reps which superficially re-create the original watch.

So true,..Panerai represents a strong leap forward,.. and I recant my price point.. I just recalled the reasons behind

the lower price I paid.

So true,.. however the lowest price I have found is much less than $700, unless of course you are paying

for high risk customs guarantees, or are placing higher value on some area of panerism that eludes me,..

though as far as I know, all 7753 196s are the same, past the differences in cases from old to new..?? :(

Where did you find it a lot cheaper?

All the dealers I made enquiries to were quoting around the 700 mark, one was slightly more, one was slightly less.

If you can affort to buy the best quality rep it's maybe better to buy the real one. A rep is a rep and is not lasting as the real thing.

Maybe with Omega or other mid priced lines, or pre-owned, other than that, until

watches become investments, or come down to 10% of their current pricing... I will

enjoy the hell out of my reps. :D