When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has Anyone Tried To Artificially Fade A Dial?

rmcsherry

I know Enzo attempted to make a black PAM dial tobacco by using a coloured varnish, although I've not seen the results. I just wondered if anyone else has tried to artificially fade a black dial - I don't know what would happen if you submerse it in bleach, but it'd be interesting to find out. Maybe a UV lamp will fade it, but I guess this would be a slow process. Any input would be appreciated before I destroy too many dials!

I've used bleach on inserts... But never on a dial.

Might have to give it a try tonight on one of my test dials to see how the finish holds up. For more natural looking results, I'd say that a UV lamp would be the better choice. However... You'll probably need one powerful UV lamp to achieve any fading...

I did it by accident while trying to remove glue residue on a marina militare dial using clinique clarifying lotion, it removed the varnish from the dial face leaving a dull matt finish that looked a bit older than before, and a bit greyer, it was not removing the glue fast enough so i tried nail varnish romover and found that a bit to harsh and oops!, if i ahd had more patience it would have looked better. :bangin:

Ouch. If the lotion left that kind of finish on a painted dial, imagine what it's doing to your skin!!

:bleh:

The clinique was fine just slow it was the nail varnish that did the damage, i still put it back together and use it as a learning experience, and i even still wear it as it was won on PTs raffle right after joined the boards so has a sort of sentimental value for me. :blush:

In fact ubi thanks for the prompt i think i will give it a bit of wrist time.