When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sally Hansen On Paul Newman

freddy333

After completing ajoesmith's "Guide To 'killing' The 6 Oclock Subdial On Speedmasters" (to fix the 12-hour register on a Paul Newman Daytona), I discovered an alternative method of stabilizing (fixing) the subdial hand that I think works just as well as ajoesmith's approach but offers the benefit of improved security (over time).

ajoesmith [cleverly] used double-sided tape to secure the 12-hour register gear to the plate, which is a good option since it makes the mod easy to un-do. But my experience with double-sided tape, especially when used in environments where the temperature varies, is that it will eventually loosen requiring the watch to be opened and the gear re-affixed.

As I'm the type who doesn't like to have to pay for the same real estate twice, I decided I needed a better (more permanent) solution. After considering a number of possible solutions, it dawned on me that the perfect fixer was nail polish, which is regularly used in electronics and motors with great success because it's stable over time, easy to apply (and see) and can be easily removed with standard nail polish remover without causing deterioration of the adjoining metal parts.

A couple of dabs along the edge of the gear where it meets the plate, five minutes of an air-dry and you have a simple, cheap semi-permanent fix that shouldn't come loose until or unless you want it to!

Just be carefull when using nail polish remover as it can make a right mess of printed or painted parts.

Exactly correct!

I guess I should probably add (for those who haven't read the tutorial) that the gear in question is affixed to a blank metal plate. There's no printing or non-metal parts in close proximity. So as long as you're reasonably careful, it should be very easy to remove both the nail polish and gear (if you feel the need to return the register to its previously "broken" state).

Oh, and in case anyone's interested, here's the "frozen" results (with "fixed" 12-hour register hand pointing to "12" [note: the (screw-type) pushers have been removed whilst the search commences for more appropriate (button) pushers]):

post-3175-1163100814_thumb.jpg

p.s. If anyone knows of a method for (accurately) filling-in the missing black dial colour in the minute (i.e., tiny, even when viewed at 10x!) isthmus between the bottom of the 12-hour register and the white circumference of the dial, please PM me.

Edited by freddy333