When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

47mm watches?

magnum645

Hi guys,

I am now thinking my 111 is too small after wearing my 187. I love Pams but I was wondering if there is a list of big watches I should be looking out for with future purchases. Is there anything out there or do you guys have some suggestions for good large watches 46mm-49mm PAM or others out there? Not coming up in a search. Thanks in advance for the heads up.

Re 47 mm Pams, the short answer is to just go out and get a Noob 127 (if you can find one in stock!). Superb quality, the 217 is another option from same maker.

Other 47 mm to check out (with lower quality) are 203, 306, 372 (luminors), 187, 193, 194, 305, 382 (submersibles) or 232, 249, 294, 309, 322, 339, 349, 373, 376, 379, 425 (radiomirs). Good luck with the search mate, can also advice on the IWC Big pilots (5002 or 5004), bought one a couple of months ago and love it!

• Like 1

Depending wether you want a sporty or elegant watch. Breitlings are beafy and bold, typical sports watches. Super Avenger at 48mm, or for the more elegant touch, the Breitling for Bentley 6.75 at 49,2mm. They also have a few other models above 48mm.

Panerai - the divers range for sporty (PAM187) or the Fiddy style /127, 217 etc, (non-chrono 47mm 1950s case) or Radiomir 47mm for yet more elengant design. But, do not forget the 44mm PAMS on SS bracelet. Especially the Daylight range, they wear very big on an SS bracelet, much bigger than on a strap.

Omega, they have infact some models beyond the PO 45,5mm. Check them out.

Hublot Big Bang King or Big Bang King Power (48mm) or the ultrabeafy Oceanographic Diver (48mm, but more than 20mm thick)!

Roger Dubois, has some elegant/sporty models, 48mm. Even an Tourbillon at 48mm!

U-Boat - there are several models at 50mm and beyond!

Audemars Piguet - ROO T3 (Ti) or Shaq (SS), both at 48mm.

Corum - look at the Competition 48 (48mm). Also available in Ti.

IWC Big Pilot, 46,2mm, but because of the very narrow bezel and large dial/crystal, it wears like a 48mm.

Tag Heuer - take a look at the Carrera 16 (and Carrera range), at 43mm, but wears much, much bigger, due to narrow bezel and ditto big dial. Wears biggest on a ss bracelet.

AS a tumb rule, watch look bigger on an SS bracelet (if it is a chunky bracelet), if it does not have a divers bezel, but rater a neutral bezel or a racing bezel, since divers bezels tend to "eat away" some of the visual apperance of a watch, since the dial gets much smaller. Makes the watch look smaller far away, when the dial is the most apparent part, but when up close, you see the size of it as a whole. Also white dials make a watch look bigger, than black dials. So if you want to go biggy-biggy, go for a Super Avenger with white dial and SS bracelet. Don't get much bigger than that. I saw one in the window at the local AD the other day. SA with battons and white dial. Looked enourmous compared to the other watches, even the bigger models from TAG and Omega looked really small. Another rule, watch looks way bigger on display in the window at the AD, than it will do on your wrist. Therefore, you might think that your watch (the REP) is wrong size, compared to the huge GEN in the AD windows. It is a visual phenomen, I thought the GEN SOSF looked significantly bigger in the AD window, than my REP SOSF, until the day I went and purchased the GEN SOSF. The size is exactly the same for both. Just your eyes playing tricks with your brain.

Also, watches tend to look bigger on anyone elses wrists, than your own. Also a visual phenomen

Happy hunting, may not need a scope sight, if you are hunting for the big birds B) .

For PAMs mate the only ones worth going for are the latest 187s, 217s and 127s... the others I wouldnt bother with unless you want to mod them. Though the 187 really needs those hands sorted ...

Also consider all that Smab said..... I just posted a mini review of the RD excalibur which is around 51mm on the wrist...

Just make sure you research whichever models you fancy because some are great and some are awful and given the size of them they need to look right on the wrist even if its just for your piece of mind....

There might be some better Uboat flightdecks 50mm coming as the current batch are pretty flawed on the dial....