When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NYC and reps, boy have things changed

Decided to take a brief stroll on Canal St today to see what the world of reps here in my home city has become. It's practically a rep ghost town, at least compared to what it once was. There is about a quarter the amount of stalls, and most of them are stocked only with low level bell & ross, some decent looking AP's (to my novice ap eye) and then a bunch of lower cost brand reps. I remember when it was overflowing with everything you can think of. I am sure the other brands are still available, just not displayed out on the street anymore, which genuinely takes the fun out if it. I did hear a woman who was being questioned about some omegas tell the guy to come back after 6, so maybe thats when the cops lay off. Who knows. Anyway, shame for anyone visiting nyc and hoping to experience the china town rep trade. It's a real let down now.

Haven't been there in years but I did notice the last time I visited canal st in 08 it was pretty poor then, can only assume it got worse since then. Much better available on the forums, too much messing around with this hush, hush and cloak and dagger stuff to see anything worthwhile on the streets/markets anyway.

I've been there a few times in the last couple weeks buying stuff for my new apartment. Availability is hit or miss since dealer paranoia seems to vary day to day. I've seen some pretty interesting stuff though, some Pams, Patek Nautiluses (the one with complications) on steel, AP Divers (V1 with probably asian clone movement), and the cream of the crop, an a21j AP RO 15300 that I picked up immediately. It's the only a21j version I've seen with proper angular dial markers, and the only 15300 I've EVER seen with a solid caseback. The Hublots of all sorts, B&R's, and AP chronos are on display plus your usual bevvy of dress watch reps. The other stuff is available, usually you find someone muttering "Rolex," tell them what you want, and wait on a corner while a runner grabs it for you. It's totally worth a trip if you're there. It's fun trying on a couple random watches you might otherwise not really consider but that look pretty good in person actually, i.e. a JLC Reverso with the best skeletonized asian movement I've seen yet

20110505220601.jpg

Edited by prb
  • Like 1