When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmaker question

gplracer

I took a rep rolex band into a local watchmaker to have him fix the tube on the band. He said where is the rest of the watch. I told him at home. He gave me the watch back and said bring the whole thing in so I can make sure the band is on the watch correctly. Does this sound fishy? Also, is there a risk that the watchmaker will say it is a fake and refuse to give it back?

Just a couple of states to the east of you.

I was kidding!

Replica watches are not illegal here in the US. That's like taking your Shelby Cobra kit car into a Ford dealership for an oil change and them keeping the car.

I've heard the theory that at a Rolex AD they could try to confiscate it, but I still find that a stretch. Your watch is your property..they can't take it from you.

He might refuse to work on it is more likely because he might have a parts account or a moral problem.

If your really concerned, just tell him you have a high quality replica watch. If he has a problem and you need your bracelet fixed, find a small jeweler.

I've heard the theory that at a Rolex AD they could try to confiscate it, but I still find that a stretch.

I have been told that in some countries(not necessarily the US), Rolex ADs provide a free "service" of routinely authenticating all watches they get their hands on. Then, if they think it is fake, they send it to Rolex to investigate. If you wanted it back then you would be dealing with Rolex. Good luck with that.

You can avoid any risk, though, by not taking reps into an AD. If your watchmaker isn't an AD the worst that can happen is that he might refuse to work on the rep.

Edited by tode1640